Corrupted SD Memory Card

MaKSiNG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My SD card for my digital camera has become corrupted for some reason.
I was getting a System Error when looking through the pictures on my digital camera. I plugged the card into my PC to retrieve the pictures that were still on there but could not load them.
Now I am unable to access the card at all either from PC or from the camera.
I am unable to format it using the camera or the PC.

What is going on? Can these cards really be corrupted? Is there no use but to throw it away and buy a new one?

Thanks,

MaKS

Hi Maks,

Just seen this on a site, seems to imply that card failure is likey.

Recommended Software: Rescue your Photos!
Just as important as an extra memory card is a tool to rescue your images when one of your cards fails at some point in the future. I get a lot of email from readers who've lost photos due to a corrupted memory card. Memory card corruption can happen with any card type and any camera manufacturer, nobody's immune. A surprising number of "lost" images can be recovered with an inexpensive, easy to use piece of software though. Given the amount of email I've gotten on the topic, I now include this paragraph in all my digicam reviews. The program you need is called PhotoRescue, by DataRescue SA. Read our review of it if you'd like, but download the program now, so you'll have it. It doesn't cost a penny until you need it, and even then it's only $29, with a money back guarantee. So download PhotoRescue for Windows or PhotoRescue for Mac while you're thinking of it. (While you're at it, download the PDF manual and quickstart guide as well.) Stash the file in a safe place and it'll be there when you need it. Trust me, needing this is not a matter of if, but when... PhotoRescue is about the best and easiest tool for recovering digital photos I've seen. (Disclosure: IR gets a small commission from sales of the product, but I'd highly recommend the program even if we didn't.) OK, now back to our regularly scheduled review...

Go here;
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/
and download their excellent digital image recovery program.

I used it for the first time this weekend and recovered 90 photos from an otherwise unreadable card. The demo version of Photorescue didn't come close.

Highly recommended...hope this helps.

Ian Guinan

Sorry....just actualy read your post instead of just enthusiastically replying!

Saw a thing on the BBC web site where memory cards were tested and were pretty unaffected by everything they threw at them....only nailing them to a tree corrupted any data but still left portions of the card readable!!

i.e. no need to worry (unless your father removes a card from the camera whilst it is being written to :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom