Corrupted dashboard update - freezing with storage devices attached - how to fix?

JonnyTester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A friend in work asked me to have alook at his son's arcade 360. Apparently he tried to do a dashboard update online, this failed, and now when he tries to go online, it freezes. So I brought it home and thought that I might be able to fix this using a usb drive or hard drive update (he doesn't have a hard drive). But the 360 freezes just before the dashboard loads when any storage device is attached and when I try to do an initial setup, this also freezes the 360. ANy help would be very much appreciated.

I read somewhere if you clear the cache it will reinstall the dashboard and next time it connects to the network it will re-download the latest patches / updates. This may be a solution worth trying if having trouble with the dashboard crashing.

I cant remeber how to clear the cache but it definatly seen it in the xbox hardware forums, just do a search.

I read somewhere if you clear the cache it will reinstall the dashboard and next time it connects to the network it will re-download the latest patches / updates. This may be a solution worth trying if having trouble with the dashboard crashing.

I cant remeber how to clear the cache but it definatly seen it in the xbox hardware forums, just do a search.
clearing the cache is for the hard drive - the cache holds the previous 5 games updates eg if you play a 6th game that is updated number 1 is bumped off

if the console does not reach the dashboard then you wont be able to clear the cache

how old is the arcade?

2006-02-02, well out of warranty. Any changes to settings at all freezes it.

Last edited:
Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.
  1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
  2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
  3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
  4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.
I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try.

I'm off to the gym now so I'll try that when I come back. Cheers man.

Well I tried that and instead of freezing on bootup with a storage device attached, it just goes to a black screen. The other problems changing any settings are persisting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom