• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Corrupt Icons In Vista

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
I've got corrupt icons in Vista now, not sure how its happened. :confused:

My files dont seem to be associated with their programs and the default windows vista icons are not correct either.

Not sure what to try to bring them back, it was easy in xp but not sure how to in vista.

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
You need to rebuild your icon cache.

Only way I know how to do that is by changing my colour depth from 32bit to 16bit then back again as the cache is rebuilt when you do that. But that didnt help. As far as I know there is no ShellIconCache in Vista so I cant delete that and reboot. :(

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Try download TweakUI from Microsoft.com and using the Rebuild Icon Cache function. It was designed for XP, but there is more than a good chance that it will work on Vista.

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Try download TweakUI from Microsoft.com and using the Rebuild Icon Cache function. It was designed for XP, but there is more than a good chance that it will work on Vista.

Thanks again Singh400, but there's no way I'm trying that on Vista it would do more damage than good. If that works on Vista then there wouldnt be a TweakVI available.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Thanks again Singh400, but there's no way I'm trying that on Vista it would do more damage than good. If that works on Vista then there wouldnt be a TweakVI available.
Yes but TweakUI is from Microsoft. Whereas TweakVI is just from some software company.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Both are from the same company

Tweak VI is designed for Vista.

http://www.totalidea.com/content/tweakvi/tweakvi-index.html
TweakUI is made by Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Whereas TweakVI is made by TotalIdea - I wouldn't use this software if you payed me too.

Anyhoo, I'm booting into Vista later and I'm gonna try to use TweakUI to rebuild my icon cache. See what happens - aRCaM seems scared that something might happen.

treacle

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
TweakUI is made by Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Whereas TweakVI is made by TotalIdea - I wouldn't use this software if you payed me too.
Anyhoo, I'm booting into Vista later and I'm gonna try to use TweakUI to rebuild my icon cache. See what happens - aRCaM seems scared that something might happen.

Your using MS Windows and no-ones paid you to use that either.

I am not scared to do anything, what you fail to understand is that tweakui is XP only, you can try what you like but it wont run on Vista thats for sure. I know this already but the fact that you have advised me to install XP only software on a completely different operating system to rebuild iconcache that is not setup the same way as Vista's is just plain bad advice.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Your using MS Windows and no-ones paid you to use that either.

I am not scared to do anything, what you fail to understand is that tweakui is XP only, you can try what you like but it wont run on Vista thats for sure. I know this already but the fact that you have advised me to install XP only software on a completely different operating system to rebuild iconcache that is not setup the same way as Vista's is just plain bad advice.
Oh really? Well I've just used TweakUI to rebuild my icon cache on Vista. As you can see in the screenshot below...

There are manual ways of rebuilding your icon cache file via cmd.

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Oh really? Well I've just used TweakUI to rebuild my icon cache on Vista. As you can see in the screenshot below...

There are manual ways of rebuilding your icon cache file via cmd.

If you have that running in Vista I stand corrected. I have just bit the bullet and tried and get an error stating that I need WinXP SP1 or 2003 installed to run.

I have already tried the manual rebuild using the sfc /scannow command - didnt help.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
If you have that running in Vista I stand corrected. I have just bit the bullet and tried and get an error stating that I need WinXP SP1 or 2003 installed to run.

I have already tried the manual rebuild using the sfc /scannow command - didnt help.
To get TweakUI running download WinRAR and extract the contents of the setup file to your desktop. Then right click on TweakUI.exe and select properties. Then go the compatibility tab and select Windows XP SP2. Apply, OK.

Start the program, it will give you a warning, just click continue. Proceed to rebuild icon cache.

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
To get TweakUI running download WinRAR and extract the contents of the setup file to your desktop. Then right click on TweakUI.exe and select properties. Then go the compatibility tab and select Windows XP SP2. Apply, OK.

Start the program, it will give you a warning, just click continue. Proceed to rebuild icon cache.

Hehe, thanks for the explanation though I do know how to run programs in compatibility mode. Even if this was to work and the program runs in Vista, Icon Cache is completely different in XP than it is in Vista so it still wont fix my issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom