1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupt HD help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    OK Guys,,,,,,need some advice. My wife's PC had a catastrophic HD failure about 9 months ago. I managed to restore some data and replace the Hard Disk with a decent one. Now it's not completely failed but she came home to a message saying HD failure. All her emails have gone.....and IE wont open and some programmes crash all the time..... So I'm wanting to copy the remaining non ****ed data to a new HD. We have a couple of other PC's on our network. Is there a utility anyone can recommend to backup across a network overnight to other HD's?

Gordon

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not sure if it'll help.

I have a bit of experience (well 9 years) in some forms of data recovery. I can't do much in terms of replacing the PCB and heads etc. But I have got software tools - which means I can pop it on to my PC and extract as much data as I can and put it on to CD/DVD's.

All I'd ask is you reimburse me for P&P and media costs, if you want me to have a look.

BR

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    BR; Extremely kind of you. I'm on the road right now. Just got the phone call from Melanie...she's understandably upset....When I get back I'll check what is possible to read and if we need your help I'll be glad to take you up on your terms....

Cheers,

Gordon

4. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tool you need is Bart PE. It allows you to create a bootable CD using XP files. With this you can boot up, copy your files to a memory / network / CD writer and away you go. Best news? It is free! Everyone here should have one ready and hope they never need it. Mem stick is the easiest route because it is 'self sufficient'. For the CD writer and network you might need extra effort. Click here

It really is a top quality 'get out of jail free' utility - I say again - everyone should have one ready, just in case.

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i've heard a things to try out in the event of this so i'd suggest:

a) before trying to recover any data, put the HD into a sealed freezer bag and leave it in your freezer overnight or something. As crazy as it sounds this apparently often allows more data to be recovered.

b) I'd also recommend Bart PE, it's a handy tool - if you have any Linux experience at all you also might want to try their live cd (Knoppix and Ubuntu have good live distributions) - it's very intuitive even to novice users.. i'm not sure if it'll be able to recover more files than Bart though.

c) If the data is worth a small amount to you it might well be worth downloading the trial version of GetDataBack or a similar program. I've only used it before to recover files lost in accidental/bad formats but i think it's designed for HD failures too. The trial version will show you all the files you can recover but you need to pay for the full version to actually be able to recover them.

d) At a much lower level there are also programs like Spinrite, the developer claims that the recently released new version is better than any other software program at recovering data and i could believe that given that it runs at a much lower level on the disk and trys just about every sort of read pattern in an attempt to get your data back if it is at all possible. I've used it only out of curiosity before but it does look very impressive.. again you need to buy this but it's not too expensive if i recall.

e) Finally. there's always the option of professional HD recovery - this is the best way but also very very expensive. From what you said before i don't get the impression that it will be worth it but it's always an option to consider.

Cheers,

Ben