Corrupt DV capture

pc99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought and installed a new cheap firewire card in my PC, running XP pro SP2.

The card installed fine.

I plugged in my camcorder - a now aging Canon MV20i

Windows recognised a new digital video device. I ran Windows movie maker to try it out.

On clicking capture, the camcorder starts playing and the video is there, but it is corrupted. Some of the picture is okay but some of it is wrong and blocky. Both the preview and the captured avi exhibit the problem.

The picture on the camera lcd screen is fine, so it's not the tape.

Any ideas whether this is just a windows config problem, or a problem with either the new card or the cameras firewire output.

Last time I used the camera the firewire worked fine, but that was a few months ago. In the meantime, I managed to knacker the firewire ports on my motherboard by connecting a front panel usb cable to the firewire header.

I'm wondering whether this may have also damaged the camera.

Any help greatly appreciated.

don't know much about windows movie maker, but I have had problems getting a canon xm2 and xp sp2 to work happily.

If you have the option in Win MM, look for device control options, if you can select the exact model of cam then try this, if you cannot then choose the most basic version of device control you can (may be called PAL firewire generic or basic)

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. But I can't find any option on Win MM to change the device controls. The camera is recognised as a Canon DV Camcorder.

I also tried capturing with a simple freeware program called DVIO, with the same results.

I think I'm going to have to try ther camera on a friends PC to see which is at fault.

Thanks anyway.

same cam, same prob, seems win XP + service pack 2 forces ntsc only on a pal camera. I have searched for a solution but so far have only found a few people with same problem too.
Windows update:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8BD6-8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en&Hash=55CFPHD

did not help, nor did advice about getting the old SP1 drivers back out of the driver archive cab, to replace the S2 ones.

Anyone with a solution? I'd love to get all my movies off the cam and onto HD.

Just to update.

In my case it was the camcorders firewire that was knackered.

Another PAL camcorder (borrowed from a friend) worked fine with my PC, and my camcorder produced the same results on a different PC.

I've now replaced my camcorder and the new one is working fine too.

Canon support centre told me to disable my anti-virus s/ware and firewall. That was as much use as a button on a sock. :nono:

Al Heeley said:
Canon support centre told me to disable my anti-virus s/ware and firewall. That was as much use as a button on a sock. :nono:
That is actually very good advice, and exactly what I advise people to do (along with everything else they can disable) whenever captureing or editing video. Video editing puts a lot of strain on even the best PC's so you want ot free up as much resources as possible.

Mark.

...but sadly it did nothing to help the problem with the dv capture from the camera...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom