Correct way to chase cables in the wall....

Aziz Ismail

Hi Guys,

I need some advice with regards to chasing cables into the wall. I have had a quick search but was unable to find the correct answer.
I wish for my TV to be installed on the wall rather than the stand i currently have it on. (Beovision Eclipse)

I currently use white trunking which is an eye sore and want the cables to be hidden inside the wall. Do people simply just have the cables chased into the wall and then plastered over?
I was thinking of placing some sort of trunking maybe inside the wall to house the power and HDMI cables. I was considering using a matrix but unfortunately a 4k matrix is out of my budget so instead, i have narrowed down the devices that i wish to have connected.

I will literally have a Sky Q, Apple4kTV & an Xbox connected to the TV. I will have an Amazon FireTV powered by the 3.0 USB port on the rear of the tv also connected.

Is there any sort of cable management trunking that can separate the cables and then get plastered over?

Thanks in advance.

calvind123

Depends on the type of wall it is.

My TV is mounted on a dot and dab plasterboard on block wall and I had just enough space between the plasterboard and blocks to run the power and a HDMI cable down. Just had to cut a hole behind the TV and behind the TV unit and run the cables between them (with the power separate from the HDMI)

Aziz Ismail

Depends on the type of wall it is.

My TV is mounted on a dot and dab plasterboard on block wall and I had just enough space between the plasterboard and blocks to run the power and a HDMI cable down. Just had to cut a hole behind the TV and behind the TV unit and run the cables between them (with the power separate from the HDMI)
It will be on the chimney breast. I have had the gas heater capped and removed.
I’m not sure if the builder will put plasterboard over the chimney or just chase into the wall for my cables and once done, plaster over it.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI Matrix - is only required if you have more than one Display device, an HDMI Switch is all you require if you only have a single Display.

Sound - you don’t mention a Soundbar or AVR?

Trunking - is always a good idea and preferably of a size which will allow you to pull in replacement cables, HDMI cables can fail, be damaged or become obsolete so never simply ‘plaster’ over cables assuming you will never have to change them out.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom