1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct use of dvi resolutions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stellavision, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    After my recent purchase of a Denon 1910 dvd player I have fallen foul to the resolution problems as discussed on the dvd forum.
    I have everything working fine on my Hitachi 42PD5200 except for 720P with a pal disk, all Region 1 disks seem fine in all resolutions.
    If 1080 is being displayed fine on my plasma is there any need to worry about the lower settings, or are there circumstances where I may require 480P, 720P, etc?
    Just trying to decide whether it's worth me sending my player away for the firmware update just released which apparently addresses the problem.

2. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Stellavision,

The reason your not getting a picture with a PAL DVD is a compatability issue. The Hitachi 42PD5200 requires 720P at 60hz not PAL's 50hz. You would need a scaler such as the i-scan HD with adjustable refresh to produce 720P. (A region one DVD should work though)
    What ever res you choose to output from the DVD player will have to be re-scaled by the plasma anyway. It's worth pointing out that it is generally agreed that re-scaling a scaled image can introduce unwanted effects to the picture. I would recommend selecting the output you find most effective and stick with it. In a nutshell you should find that a 576P output is as good as any other with your plasma. The panel works best with a progressive source.

Hope this helps.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks. I have had a similar response from asking about this on other forums, so I am not sure if the 1.10 denon firmware will help me at all now. I suppose it won't hurt to try it anyway when I manage to get hold of it.

4. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the iScan HD have an output resolution that would not need to be rescaled by a Hitachi 42PD5200?

Ta.

5. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I thought DVI resolutions were all 60hz anyway.
    On mine I can't get 576p through DVI, but I can through component with the same player.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    DVI can carry all sorts of refresh rates and resolutions. It's all to do with what is supported by your sources and displays.

Gordon

7. DeanL

DeanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Questions for any Hitachi 5200 owners.

I'm looking at buying this plasma and following the write ups etc was looking at attaching the Denon1910 to make use of the DCI input.

From threads know stella has thsi set up and there has been a few issues but how good is the PQ your getting with this set up?

Also anyone else with the 5200 that have any feedback on results from DVD players would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks Dean

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The 1910 has looked extremely awsome, but also quite bad on my 42PD5200.
    Generally, most dvd's look stunning, with crisp colourful pictures and no dodgy artifacts in sight. However, it will show up weaknessess of dvd's which have weak picture quality anyway. I think it makes the good look better, but the bad look worse.
    I have been pondering lately whether the 1910 was really worth swapping my Tosh 520 for, so I just watched a few scenes of LOTR Two Towers, and the excellent PQ assured me that it was.
    I am watching everything in 1080p with pleasing results, so I am not too bothered that I cannot make full use of 720p yet, but hopefully I'll get a fix for that soon.