Correct Tyre Size for my Audi Q5 2016 Special Edition

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, its that time again to buy a set of 4 brand new tyres and have them fitted locally for my Q5

2 years ago I purchased 2 x rear brand new AO Pirelli P Zero XL 255/40/Y/R21 which cost me £224.99 each from Euromaster, the Audi garage at the time when we bought the car paid for 2 new front tyres.

I have been back onto the ATS Euromaster website, and this time punched in my reg and it states I can choose a set of Tyres which are 255/45/R/20 W 101,

The Tyres which have 45 are much cheaper, I can choose the Pirelli Scorpion Verde which cost £146.69 (at Blackcircles) each, which wont make such a dent in my wallet than the /40 size.

Can anyone advise which Tyres I should be buying. and does it really make a difference either choosing 45 or 40? or W or Y - It will save me a heap of money buying 4 together. I also just read that I do not need XL tyres as the car is never carrying a heavy load..

Confused.com with the below now?
upload_2020-9-18_16-39-11.png

Do your have 20" or 21" as you've quoted two different wheel size tyres there. My guess from the first comment is you have 255/40/Y/R21, 21" wheels.

Ps. I would stick with XL tyres, extra load doesn't refer to the amount of load you carry but the car itself. Large saloons, 4x4 often have XL as standard. W tyres will also be fine as doubt you'll be exceeding 168mph anytime soon.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, yeh what a numpty I am, it does have R21 so I must stick with R21

And as you have said, I’ll also stick with XL tyres as it’s a Q5, looking like a £1000 bill

Cheers :)

Try black circles. They can often be cheaper than the same garage

Other places to try are MyTyres and Tyreleader.

You need to keep the same size as you've got already. Changing from 40 to 45 will change the rolling radius of the tyre and make the speedo read incorrectly. So don't go from 255/45 to 255/40, for example.

"W" and "Y" refer to the maximum rated speed of the tyre - 168mph and 186mph respectively. Obviously you'll never get to 186 in an Q5, but you need to keep within the manufacturer's specifications for insurance purposes. There should be a sticker on the car somewhere - usually inside the driver's door or on the back of the fuel filler cap - that tells you what sizes your car needs. I would stick to "Y" if that's what's the manufacturer recommends - don't give your insurance company any opening to wriggle out of paying any claim if you have an accident.

Don't forget the Profile - "40" is a ratio of the diameter and width of the tyre, so a wider tyre may have a lower ratio.

My Z4 has 225/40/18s on the front and 235/35/18s on the rear. Mine are about £110 per corner for Goodyear Eagle 5s from Black Circles, but my tyre fitter can get them for £98 if I go direct to him.

For the Dunlops from Black Circles, you are looking at £750. Let's hope they last longer than the 8-10K I get out of the rears on mine...

Asda tyres online was cheapest for me last year. You order and they get delivered to your local tyre place for fitting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom