1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct settings for LG Plasma LG RZ42PX11

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by davsmall, Oct 5, 2004.

1. davsmall

davsmall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a virgin plasma owner..just bought the LG and really not sure of the best settings for best picture..red/blue/green contrast brightness etc etc..Is there any kinded hearted person out there who knows more than me who has been through these problems and maybe has some setting advise, maybe some general setting. Solarization is also a big problem though mainly through TV/CABLE BOX. Maybe ajusting the above settings may improve this?

davsmall :hiya:

2. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bud,

Each TV is different and therefore use slightly different settings!

Your best bet is to purchase Digital video essentials, which will help you understand and setup your TV to its optinum settings.

You would also benefit from some decent interconnect cables like Monster or QED etc..

Good luck.

Get my LG on Sunday :clap: and and ill be using DVE!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    turn contrast and brightness down for first 200 hours to reduce risk of burning the phosphur

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't think turning the brightness down is going to make that much of a difference, as it is setting the black level - perfectly safe to use a 'correct' setting. Contrast can be reduced a tad, but not much as you'll just cause image problems.

To take the edge of the brightness though, and probably help the phosphurs, put the LG into power saving mode. If you're comfortable with using the service menu, you can tweak how much power is saved / how dull or bright the screen is.

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Right, been doing some more tweaking tonight... here is my current config:

Note - I have slightly different settings for AV1 (RGB), and Component. I did use the same DVD player and DVE disc in determining those settings though.

First, CSM - set to 'Warm', which is meant to be 6500K (according to docs on LG site). I have tweaked the service menu for red and green decoding, which may be compensation for the standard setting of 9300K, which will be slightly blue. So, if you don't use the system menu to change the decoding, normal may be a better compromise.

Contrast is 100 in both cases. Note that I have low power setting turned on, so it is reducing the amount it is driving the display anyway.

Brightness - 51 for AV1, 58 for Component. Note that AV1 was very sensitive - anything above 51 and levels below back were visible, any setting below 51 and the detail started to disappear from the black regions.

Colour - 25 for AV1, 35 for Component.

Sharpness - 60 for AV1, 45 for Component.

In the service menu (hold down menu keys on remote + TV, press menu to exit), I changed the following:

Red-Pr 8
    Red-Pb F
    Green-Pr 4
    Green-Pb 3

Note that I haven't found any really satisfactory settings for the reds yet - there is still some variation between the colour patches when viewed through the filter provided with DVE.

6. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Grahamtriggs,

I have found that if youy struggle with a single colour setting (usually the Red)
    try adjusting the overall colour setting in the normal menu using the DVE filter until the red is correct then go into the service menu and adjust blue and green to the correct levels using the filter!

This has worked with CRT and i haven't tried this on a plasma yet as i get mine on sunday.

So, Try it and let me know if it works. :smashin:

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It's not really a problem to get the colour panels to get in the right ballpark... the 'problem' is that there remains a slight variance between the levels of the panels that should match - and that isn't something that can be dealt with using the normal colour control.

In fact, getting the colour panels totally balanced using the service menu doesn't really have a noticable effect on the picture in general use - it's only really visible in that test screen of DVE. Getting the overall colour saturation to the right level using the standard control is the main requirement - and that means turning it way down from the presets.