Correct picture setting on widescreen tv

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Gadjet, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a 32 inch widescreen and have my Sky picture setting on 4:3 and letter box. Now if I put the setting on 16:9 which I thought was the correct one the picture seems stretched out to fill the screen(vertically). So with 4:3 letterbox I have the black marks like a DVD film. Is this how the picture should be with sky or can I adjust the picture so 16:9 doesnt stretch( vertically),

Cheers,
    Phill

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You should have your Sky Box set to 16:9 Mode, Letterbox Off. The picture is supposed to fill the entire screen on Widescreen Broadcasts, i.e., BBC1 because it is being shown in 1:85:1 Aspect ratio. Only broadcasts shown in aspect ratios above this (i.e., 2:35:1)will have black bars top and bottom but Sky doesn't usually broadcast anything in this aspect. The football will have large black bars at the left and right hand sides because it is being broadcast in 4:3 within a 16:9 frame. :)

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sky 1 is all 4:3 not widescreen at all (apart from the adverts that are 14:9 non anamorphic), so the picture should be the shape of a normal TV. So you'r gonna have to put up with pillar borders left and right, or streching the picture out to fill the screen i'm afraid.

Set your Set top box to 16:9 widescreen, AV/scart switching ON and assuming the STB is connected to the TV via a fully wired scart cable it should automaticly switch the TV into 16:9 mode for anamorphic 16:9 pictures and 4:3 mode for normal tv pictures.

Letterbox mode is for watching widescreen broadcasts on standard (non widescreen) tv's that don't support 16:9 anamorphic mode.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some sky one material is filmed in widescreen but as sky one don't support it they use 14:9 non-anamorphic instead. Dream Team, Is Harry on the Boat are two examples.

As for the original post, there is no problem, just remember that not everything is widescreen yet. 4:3 is still the majority so you will expect black bars down either side with non-anamorphic 4:3 (unless you stretch and crop the picture). Sometimes you cannot do this, during news broadcasts and sports programmes as the transmissions are in 4:3 inside a 16:9 frame.