1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct output level for Q150E???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the REL Q150E subwoofer, and wondering if I've set the "Lo Level output" correctly.

On certain films the subwoofer reacts perfectly to appropriate moments, such as the Death Star exploding in "Star Wars", the rebel base at Hoth exploding in "Empire Strikes Back", that first spinosaur roar in "Jurassic Park III" making me feel the air almost blow past me, etc. But then there are other moments when I would expect to feel some subwoofer effect but I don't feel anything at all; for example, during "Godzilla" (UK DD 5.1 version) when the mayor is giving his speach and it gets interrupted by Godzilla's footsteps in the background, through my REL it doesn't at all feel or sound as heavy as a 200 tonne monster, I feel no vibrations at all unless I turn by subwoofer up a lot....but then that increases the bass too much for other films where the sub is already working well for. People tell me that I'm supposed to feel the footsteps at that point in the film. Other "missing sub" moments are include "Aliens" when you hear the aliens banging on the pressure-door and Hudson comments about the loud noise they're making....a "loud" noise which just sounds and feels like little taps unless i turn my sub up to unrealistic levels.

Does anyone else have the same problem as me, or know if I'm doing anything wrong with my setup, so I can resolve why I'm not always getting the desired effect? Here's my configuration:

Amp: Denon 2802
    Speakers: Mission M72 6.1 package, centre sopeaker replaced with MC2
    Subwoofer: REL Q!50E
    Crossover: 80Hz
    Subwoofer output level from amp: -2 dB (85 dB on SPL when running test tone from amp)
    Main and centre speakers set to Large, surrounds set to small.
    Settings on subwoofer: Lo level = half way; mode=2; slam/depth=depth; connection via IXOS subwoofer phono cable from amp to sub's 0dB socket.

Thanks.

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You say that your sub acts perfectly on some films and lets you down on others. This is really down to the source and the engineering. If you have calibrated your sub correctly to match your mains there maybe little more you can do, although it is possible that you have some dips in your room response.
    If you have'nt calibrated then i reccommend you get an spl metre, set your sub to match your mains and maybe even download some test tones from the snapbug website and test your room resonse.
    I wouldn't expect too much ground shaking from that little Rel though!!! :oops:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that you may be expecting too much from the Q150. It will cope with the type bass that you hear but the deeper stuff which you feel is probably at a lower freqency than the REL can reproduce.

4. lexicon

lexicon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running a rel q200e with a denon 3802. I have found that setting some of the speakers to "small" on the denon set up will direct more base to the sub. It may be worth experimenting with these levels.