1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

correct leads

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cheeky_chops, Jun 20, 2004.

1. cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya, i have the sony gx3 which on the manual tells me that to achieve best picure quality i should use s-video or component video sockets (x3)

my tv has 3 scart socket at back

which would be better and can you get a scart lead which has 3 component video leads on 1 end going into scart plug on the other end?

thanks if anyone can shed light on this :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
  3. cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey excellent thank you for your advice, i wasnt too sure with all the different cables for sale which would be best,

it just seems when you read the sales pitch for each cable its always 'the ultimate for your system' etc etc i just never know whats best to choose :rolleyes:

please could i ask another question

on reading oher post/threads could you confirm the best way to daisychain the devices together

vcr>sky>dvd recorder through tv rgb scart 1

thanks if any one could help as the manual shows so many different ways but not with the same devices i also have a dvd player can this be linked or should i start reading up on scart boxes etc :lease:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As your DVD Recorder has two scart sockets it is best to daisychain the TV scart out from the Digibox into the DVD Recorder and onwards to AV1 connection on your television so that both will have the benefit of RGB

The VCR scart from the Digibox will go to the VCR and then onwards to the second scart on the TV but as this connection will only be composite I wouldn't waste too much money on expensive scart leads as you won't see the benefit

5. cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey i seem to be getting the hang of this hopefully, thank you for clear instructions :thumbsup:

once i have the connections you mentioned is it possible to record from both the sky and the vcr?

i also have a sony dvd player with 6 surround speakers this has an s-video to scart cable supplied and 4 audio leads (ive seen posts about using a digital input jack to use the dvd players dts and mpeg facilities) (not entirely sure what it does but it sounded good :blush: )would you recommend investing in this kind of cable? does it make much difference

does that just attach to the tv's scart 3 and if so would i ever be able to record from it using the dvd recorder? or do you think i may have got the wrong type of s -video lead for the player?

thanks again tis a real help :D

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What is the model number of your Sony system ?

You will want to connect that to whichever of the TV's scart sockets will accept an s-video signal but bear in mind that you will probably have to tell both the Sony and the TV that it is an s-video signal otherwise it may just end up as a black and white picture

7. cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya the model number is the s300 it doesnt have a scart socket just the s-video to scart lead that it came with and the digital socket too

the 2nd and 3rd scart sockets on the tv have the letter s next to them, would that be for s video?

hope this info correct, and should it be connected to the dvd recorder at all by cables or is it just to the tv in this instance :thumbsup:

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want to connect your DAV-S300 you will need to use the s-video to scart lead into AV2 oor AV3 and change the setting on the TV menu to S-video.

If you are going to have that connected you may as well run a pair of phono leads from the audio outputs on the back of the TV to a pair of audio inputs on the DAV so that you can listen to Sky and the VCR via the surroound sound as well (assuming that your TV is Nicam only)

In theory you could connect up the DAV to your DVD Recorder to make copies but prerecorded DVDs are copy protected anyway so there doesn't seem much point

9. cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey thank you for that advance, i have ordered some decent scart cables yesterday, as mine were not the most sturdy.

i understand now about the copywrite on the discs so will hook it up how you said.

my last question lies in the audio leads of the dav, it has 4 leads 2 which are attached to the tv as you stated and 2 attached to the video at the present time, would you suggest moving the other 2 to the dvd recorder now that has sockets for it?

thanks again man :thumbsup:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure that the second pair of audio leads are necessary at all. A fully wired scart lead also carries audio signals so when the DVD Recorder, VCR or Sky Box is being viewed on the TV the audio signal will be output from the TV via the twin audio leads and will be available to listen to via the DAV

11. cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx that explains it more, the leads just came with the system and have been plugged into the tv all the time and the video, but like you said if they would be used through the tv for all the otherdevices i dont understand why either, but thank you for the advice about telling the tv/ dav that its being set up with s-video, these were factors that the dvd recorder has explained to do after setup also with the RGB scart etc.

hopefully the better scarts should be with me later this week and i will attempt to put it all together and keep the cables from being the tangled mess that they were before. thanks again for all the advice, im sure others reading archived posted will find it real helpful too, i will keep you posted as soon as i receive the scarts :thumbsup:

12. Atlanticist1

Atlanticist1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, it's Ian again - you really are a star!! Are you saying that if you've only got 2 scart sockets in the TV (as I have), but need to connect Sky box and DVD and VCR, that the best way is to :

Sky->DVD->TV AV1
    Sky->VCR->TV AV2

Get decent scart leads for part 1, basic leads for part 2.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is how I have mine set up but it does depend on the DVD player having two scart sockets so that both Digibox and DVD can be daisychanined to take advantage of the single RGB socket on the TV