1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct dish allignment.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mandril, Apr 19, 2004.

1. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just put a new dish up at home, and usually I just move the dish around until I get a signal. But this time I have a new zone 2 dish decent cable and I dont intend to relocate the dish again for a long time (never hopefully).

So I was wondering is there a correct way of alligning the dish to gain maximum signal strength/quality?

The way I understand it as digital is either on/off tweeking the dish is irrelivant, unlike the old analog system where plugging in a signal finder to the dish, you could then move the dish around to get a better reception.

Or am I way off?

Any advice is welcomed.

Cheers Ricky

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    The only way to maximize signal strength is with a proper meter or spectrum analyzer. The signal test function in your digibox is only a rough guide.
    You should be able to find a decent local company to do it with this equipment for £30 to £40 - well worth it in my opinion if the dish is staying put.

3. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a play around with the dish this afternoon now I have around 80% on the strenght/quality with quality bar fluctuating by about 10%. This is the best I've had since I've lived here, around 3 years.

I dought I be able to get it much better. But if an engineer could with all his electrickery I wouldnt mind paying.

would I notice the difference though???

Cheers Ricky

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    On the picture? No.

In bad weather? Maybe.

Personally - I'd put my spanner away and enjoy!

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have seen Sky installed (by Sky Engineers) four times in various friends houses and none of them were ever more than about 70% strength, and mine is about 60%

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Sky employing engineers? When did they start employing engineers? :devil:

I have met many Sky fitters, to call them engineers is like calling a bin man a 'refuse disposal engineer'.

They are fitters. No more, no less. The qualifications for the job require no 'engineer' qualification, electronic or otherwise. They are given a brief (used to be 2 days) training course on how to install a Sky system. Any deviation from what they've been taught and they're usually stuck.

Maybe this is the reason they can't fix faults. And we pay them £65.00 call out charge!! :laugh: :laugh:

A while ago, after many (under warranty) repeated box failures I was promised that a 'Senior Engineer' from Sky would visit to finally cure my fault. The fitter had worked for them for less than a week! Previous job history? Unemployed for last six months, previously a 'roofers mate'!

Of course, there may be some good fitters employed by Sky. But engineers? I don't think so.

Regarding signal strength. If your signal is good when it rains, it's good enough. Leave it alone!

7. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you probably got more idea than a sky fitter if you read the manuel or speak to people on this forum. All they want to do is get in and out as quick as poss cuse they get paid for each one they fit they don't want probs