1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct Contrast & Brightness settings, Pani PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matthew J Taylo, May 27, 2004.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've had my Pani PWD6 for over 2 months now & I'm still not convinced that I'm seeing a DVD picture as pin sharp & impressive than when Liam demo'd my exact package at AV sales in Kent.

Upgrading power cords (Russ Andrews PowerKord for DVD player & Plasma) has made a sig diff but I've been reading various info on contrast & brightness settings.

I've been running the plasma at roughly 15 - 20 (contract) 3-7 (brightness) but recently reduced these to 0 contrast & 2 for brightness & I think the picture looks much better with better contrast between blacks & whites.

Does anyone know what the optimum settings are for this?

Apprciate any info

Matt :smashin:

P.S. This may of been answered elsewhere in the forum so if you know where I can find the info please send me the link.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If it helps, the plasma at AV-Sales were at (this is from memory) contrast between -2 and -4, brightness somewhere around there, colour dragged down a little bit, sharpness was 2 or 3 I think and using CINEMA mode (in other modes these settings have completely different results since the mode changes the internal mathmatics if you will, it doesn't just slide the contrast and brightness controls to a different position). AGC was on, and gamma set to 2.2. There was no trickerery to the settings, basic power cables were used and Van Damme Interconnects so if anything you should already have a much better picture than was in there!!!

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Also at AV-Sales it was a Denon 2900 not the Pio 868 and it was a fully blacked out room...

4. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Liam,

I hope your new venture is working out for you.

Aplologies if you felt my post was suggesting any "shinaningans" whilsts demo'ing @ AV Sales, I'm just not convinced my set up is as pin sharp & impressive as it was when I viewed it in Jan/Feb.

We did use both the Pio 868avi & the Denon 2900 so, as you suggest the only diff was the component cable Van Damme Vs Beldon.

Reducing the contrast & brightness has helped so I will try the settings you've suggested.

I know what you mean about the cinema setting, when ever I've tried this the picture looks very dark, the contrast & brightness setting actually not making alot of sense?

Cheers
    Matt :beer:

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Nah I just said no trickery to save doubters jumping on the post with stupid remarks like "bet they used a hidden scaler" etc etc.

The Cinema setting is dark i'll admit. On my mothers D6 my stepdad runs normal mode with: contrast 25 ish, brightness 7, colour 1, sharpness 1, white balance normal and advanced settings off. Again from memory. This plasma is only used for Sky though. At my dads place (can't remember settings) I use Cinema for DVD and Normal for Sky, if we watch a DVD in the day (rarely) i'll usually flick it over to normal too.

HTH

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The correct brightness and contrast settings depend, as Liam has said, on the mode used. Of course some modes are basically broken by default..(well broken if you are after an accurate image).

You should also be aware that the contrast and brightness controls will change dependant on the DVD player used and in some cases even the disc.

Gordon

7. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Maybe you should look at calibrating the screen with a DVD like Avia or DVE as this will show you how to setup correct contrast, brightness, colour etc.

If you are a complete novice then maybe you could get someone like Gordon from Convergent to calibrate your plasma for you...

Both of these options should hopefully allow you to get the best from your screen with a little bit of effort...

Also check out the plasma forums on www.avsforum.com as the PWD6 is very popular over there. There is a FAQ for the PWD6 which has quite a few threads on picture settings for the PWD6. Also do a search on "steaming rat" whilst you are there to find a unique method of calibrating the plasma based upon eye with some really nice example pictures from Rich Harkness.

Good luck!

JJ

9. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to you all for your comments, I may just chase up Gordon as I want to be absolutely sure that I'm getting the best out of my system without having to spend silly money on an external decoder etc..

Cheers
    Matt

10. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0