1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct calibration for 37" viera plasma.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by GalacticaActual, Aug 31, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Right, got my digital video essential disc in the player. I have managed to adjust sharpness, colour, and to a degree brightness. Contrast however seems to be a problem. The pluge pattern does not work. plasmas do not bloom aparantly. I have also seen some advice on here from gordon about using the snell and willcox pattern on the disc and some thing about black and white squares on the pattern that you need to look at to do the adjustments. Can any one here give me some specific details or advice on the calibration on the whole. Even though I have adjusted the brightness and the contrast is about halfway the picture still looks a little dull. would it help if I turned the power save function off. To my eyes it does not seem to make any difference anyway. :)

2. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have already posted about what I perceive to be a general dullness to the Panny picture.
    Don't have the power save setting on, as this will dim the screen on bright scenes.
    I then have the picture setting to normal, colour about three clicks down from centre, contrast about three quarters of the way up and brightness about 5 clicks above centre.
    I find this is a good balance, but the darker pictures are a charactistic of the Panasonic screens. Even the Panny CRT's have a darker, more moody cast to the picture than other brands.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks mate. apreciate the advice :) . There must be apattern avalable on the dve disc that can help with the setting of the contrast though :confused:

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want the best out of your plasma then how about getting it professionally calibrated by an ISF Calibrator?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    David: The Snell and Wilcox MPEG decoder test pattern on the 4:3 patterns pages in DVE has the little white and black boxes I talk about on it.

With this you can only check that white detail is not being crushed by inappropriate contrast setting. You can't tell if the gamma is being affecteted and that's one of the areas an ISF guy like myself or Piers (from these forums) can help.

Gordon

6. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tell me more Gordon....please!!!!

I don't quite understand what you mean by the 'gamma' being affected.

7. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The THX optomizer on some discs, works quite well for setting contrast levels; the 6 white boxes are easy to see when set right.

Ken