1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct air gap for wall mounting?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Darren Blake, May 29, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, ok. I know its a small perecntage of the total system cost, but I just can't bring myself to pay nearly £200 for a mass produced fabricated metal bracket to hang my plasma on. I have designed a simple non-tilting wall bracket for my 43PMA400 and am looking to get a local fabrication shop to quote me on it.

That aside, I was wondering how far from the wall these brackets usually hold the screen. The PMA has air vents all over the back and top. I was thinking of around 40mm, but would like to make it less if possible but I don't want to mess up the cooling.

I would be grateful if someone could measure this for me.

TIA.

2. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Hitachi bracket for the 43PMA400 is only £99, not £200.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Is that direct from Hitachi or another dealer?

The only (universal) ones I was offered by Nex were up around the £175 mark I think.

4. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    check out unbeatable .co.uk they have lots of plasma acc

jason

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers for the replies guys. I'd still like to know the air gap if poss. :)

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello Darren

Seems a heck of a lot of work to not spend £130 + vat on a Unicol or similar - how much petrol and time are you going to burn running back and forth to your fabrication yard; it'll never be right first time around and they will want you to test it first before they paint it (if they have any sense!).

There is no 'correct 'air gap as the surrounding temperature and air flow have to be factored into your design - you also have to work out how to secure the panel to the bracket and how to make any adjustments and connections once the whole lot is on the wall.

A Unicol PLW will hold the rear of your display about 25mm off of your wall and Unicol will have looked at the rear of your display and worked out where not to cover up vents - they will also know the correct bolt type and length for your display.

Best regards

Joe

7. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just ressurecting this thread. :D

Since I've been in no hurry to get my screen up on the wall (had it over a month and only put it up last night) I decided to save myself some hard earned and make my own bracket after all.

I basically drew up two 90 degree "angle iron" pieces of 2mm steel, two of which attach to the screen with 4x M6x25 screws each, and two of which attach to the wall with 4 x no. 12 2" screws each. The brackets hook into each other with 3x M8x20mm screws into welded nuts on each bracket. The M8 screws slot into "L" shaped tracks so that gravity holds the screen in place and allows for a degree (no pun intended) of adjustment to get the screen level. Then the screws can be pinched up to hold the screen firmly.

Fixed the whole thing up last night with the help of my dad and I have to say it worked just as I had hoped. :D Having said that, the damn thing will probably be on the floor in bits when I get home tonight...

Total cost: £3.00 for the material, plus a tin of black smooth finish Hammerite. I did need access to a sheet metal bender, pillar drill, welder and a vertical milling machine, though - hence a few favours were called in!

Still, I had the time and it saved me a three-figure sum, so I'm happy!

8. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Anyway, here's the drawing I worked from (zipped PDF format).

Attached Files:

9. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren just thought I would say thanks for this diagram, my 400E should be here on Monday & I to begrudge paying £130 for a bracket. Yes everyone I know its a £2500 plasma & the bracket is relativly cheap, but hey its just a hunk of metal!. Im kinda lucky really as my dad is a metal fabricator by trade, so between us something like this will be no problem. And as Darran said this is no more than £5 of metal.

Im also thinking of incorporating some kind of modification to incorporate a couple of padlocks to this bracket, may help security wise, but I guess if a thief wants it & can transport it without getting caught :confused: then they are going to take it off the wall one way or another :mad:

I suppose I should ask Darran at this point if its still on the wall :eek: Only comment I would have is that your screws securing the hole thing to the wall seemed to be quite small to me. Im probably going to go for some proper Wall Bolts.

Anyway again thanks Darren, The money I save here will go towards my Philips Pronto Remote :D

Stuart

10. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Its still very much on the wall :D

I fixed it up with 4 number 12 2.5" long screws per bracket using normal brown rawlplugs into breezeblock walls. I was careful not to drill the holes for the rawlplugs too large, so the screws are in there nice and tight.

Its worth noting that because my bracket holds the screen about 30mm away from the wall, almost all of the weight is transmitted straight down. There is precious little "pull-out" load on the screws.

By the way. When you make a complete set of brackets, remember to make two mirror imaged pairs. Also, if the bend radius doens't come out quite right you may have to adujst the location of the weld nuts / slouts slightly.

11. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondered why you used flat steel plate & bent it into an angle shape? why did you not just use angled steel? Im guessing its because one side was 28mm & the other 38mm?? I think i would prefer to take the root of getting a 38mm by 38mm piece of angle & cutting off 10mm from one side with an angle grinder. :)

I hadn't thought about the mathmatics much, but I guess your right, there isnt much leverage if the screen is close to the wall, just a lot of downward weight :eek:

Thanks Again for you help
    Stuart

12. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry Darren, just read you post again, I think you did use angle iron :rolleyes:
    Stuart

13. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No I didn't. I like making things difficult for myself :eek:

14. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren, just thought I would let you know. I made the brackets as per your diagram. I didnt have the plasma at the time of construction, so I had to rely on you diagram 100%. It was spot on mate. I secured the brackets to the wall with 8 wall bolts :eek: Talk about over doing it. total cost £20 including the expensive B&Q wall bolts!

Ive attached a picture to prove it ;) Hopefully you can see it

Thanks Again
    Stuart

[​IMG]

15. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks great add the pic to the get ya plasma`s out thread please for all to see

:D :D

16. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cool! When I put mine up I was almost annoyed that my handiwork was completely hidden behind the srceen :)

Glad to hear it worked out OK (and that I can still do an engineering drawing that someone else can read!)

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Darren, I've been looking at your plans but just can't work out how the brackets join the plasma to the wall :confused:
    Presumably you have 4 bits of metal - 2 screwed to the rear of the plasma and 2 screwed to the wall?
    How do you then join these together?
    I see you have some L shaped slots but the I would have expected the slots to go up so you could could drop the plasma onto the brackets?
    Could you clarify as I am interested in going this route and then I can spend the £200 I save on an HDMI cable...:rolleyes:

Edit: Ahhh, don't worry - I think I was having a bit of a brain lapse moment...:blush:
    It's the brackets with the L slots which are fixed to the wall and the plasma drops into them...ahem...I'll get me coat...:suicide:

18. sdemmery

sdemmery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just think radiator brackets & you'll get the picture :)
    Stuart

19. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Great work fella!!

Will the bracket fit the Panny 6?

I'm hoping I dont have to do the calculations as mine isn't due for another month but I need to know whether to order a new one or not

20. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I suppose it would fit any screen that has its mouning hard points in two verical lines. You'll have to change the location of these holes to suit your screen and maybe change the overall length of the brackets. Otherwise the same mounting theory should work.