Coronavirus self isolation discussion.

stblob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As there's no thread about self isolation i'm assuming no one had hit this point on AVF yet.
But the question is, what have you got planned?
How is this going to be policed?
And what are you going to do stuck indoors for 2 weeks?
I'm a single man and there is no way I could stay in for 2 weeks, probably have enough supplies to keep me going.
But sit in front of the news channels for 2 weeks?
I'm really at a lost here.

It partly depends on why you're self isolating. If it's because you've been potentially exposed to the virus, then it could be for a relatively short period (1-2 weeks) if you have no symptoms. Not sure how long if you do contract the virus? But if you're self isolating to avoid exposure due to an underlying condition or other vulnerability, then who knows how long that could be for?

Stock up on paperback books, Netflix, Prime series.. materials for DIY or a hobby you've always wanted to take up..

Do supermarkets have a contingency plan for deliveries to homes which are self isolating - along the lines of 'drop and drive'?

If it happens to me, I'll be finishing my novel.. obvs.. ;)

Ps. If you do decide to stock up on toilet roll, this company is amazing, delivers brilliant bog roll to your door, and does some good at the same time (looks expensive, but each toilet roll genuinely does last twice as long!) Who Gives A Crap UK

Last edited:
I've got 2 weeks of food in the freezers and meal plans for each day.

I can work from home and have the IT stuff sorted although I may bag another monitor from work.

I've also got a bunch of stuff in to get my garden ready for summer. Got all my pond chemicals, and stuff to fix the patio last weekend so I can crack on with cleaning the pond, fixing the patio and tidying the garden.

I expect if I it happens, I'll still go out and walk a few miles late at night when nobody is around to avoid cabin fever.

I expect if I it happens, I'll still go out and walk a few miles late at night when nobody is around to avoid cabin fever.

I would imagine that if you're self isolating, a walk around the park, if you always stay in open spaces and don't come into close contact with people should be ok? I guess it depends on whether you have, or think you might have, the virus, or whether you're trying to avoid it. But it's not airborne, so a brisk walk outdoors shouldn't pose much risk to you or anyone else (assuming you have spaces you can walk to without coming into close contact with others?). I suppose PHE would give advice if you're being asked to 'officially' self isolate?

I've got enough food and supplies to last a good 2-3 months (minus bread and milk - probably a month if I rationed).

We've got a reasonably big garden with lots of stuff for the kids to play with. Got all the consoles and streaming services. I've got 100s of books to read and loads of Lego to catch up on...

And we're right next to the canal if we were feeling brave enough for a walk.

I'd be quite happy.

I would imagine that if you're self isolating, a walk around the park, if you always stay in open spaces and don't come into close contact with people should be ok? I guess it depends on whether you have, or think you might have, the virus, or whether you're trying to avoid it. But it's not airborne, so a brisk walk outdoors shouldn't pose much risk to you or anyone else (assuming you have spaces you can walk to without coming into close contact with others?). I suppose PHE would give advice if you're being asked to 'officially' self isolate?

Yep, I'll walk round residential streets after 9:00. Nobody will be out and I don't plan to interact with anyone. Jon Snow said he took midnight bike rides around London during his 2 week isolation.

The virus isn't magic, if you don't breath on or touch anyone, it can't spread.

It's funny how quickly it can make you paranoid though.. I just went to open an email attachment and it gave me the standard 'Do you really want to open this attachment, it may be unsafe' warning, and for a split second I thought 'I'd better not, I don't want to risk it' before realising that an electronic email attachment posed absolutely zero threat to my risk of catching an actual, real-life virus..! :facepalm:

Last year I felt the need to do a bit of prepping in case of an emergency, so i bought cans of dried milk/eggs, two sacks of rice a large box of lucky boat noodles, loads of pasta, a box of british army rations etc...... my wife and family thought i was nuts, not so much now, the mrs thinks i have some kind of esp lol.
So food wise we are fine, i love video games so as long as broadband keeps working i should be ok,

I guess if you can still move around that wont be too bad.
The lock down in Italy, seems like you can still go to work!
Guess you can still travel in your bubble (car) and not hang around down the pubs. Then that's not that bad.
Yes, I have a games console and Netfix, some bits n pieces to do round the house but that wont keep me occupied for 2 weeks plus.

I finished a 2 week self isolation last Wed. Wasn't a huge deal for me personally, ordered as I usually do online and had it delivered. I'm one that doesn't get bored too easily though and am quite happy in my own company and home entertainment (I'm also able to work from home). I also have a treadmill and weights at home so exercise wasn't an issue for me.

I imagine when self isolation happens en-masse there will be more issues with deliveries though.

I imagine when self isolation happens en-masse there will be more issues with deliveries though.

Glad you got through it ok. As you say, when it's a significant proportion of the population deliveries will be more of an issue (where are those Amazon delivery drones when you need them?!). I'm sure supermarkets have contingency plans - possibly a limit of 1 delivery a week per household, with extra vans/drivers brought in to help with distribution?

Whilst panic buying is clearly unhelpful, it does make sense to keep a reasonable supply of essentials on hand, as, unlike previous scenarios, the possibility of being told to self isolate for a minimum of 2 weeks is suddenly very real.

Was told to self isolate,
I am just waiting on a Doctors call,being taking double dose of my Meds for my Addison's Disease/my inhaler for my Asthma,got a slight chest infection.
Got food in at the moment,enought meds for 7 more days,but the worst thing is no energy,all i want to do is sleep.
So its take my meds,check my Peak Flow meter twice a day,and sleep,but waking feeling awful,very low mood.

:(

My partner and I have been sort of isolating ourselves for the past few weeks, pretty much on the advice of someone I speak to in the USA who had been doing it. So we started getting up really early and walking the dog round the park in the dark, not so hard now as it's lighter, we rarely see anyone but if we do we go the other way! We had been popping into town occasionally and also going to the supermarkets, but this last few days has us both worried.
We have stocked up as once again I was going with the advice I was given, buy enough for a few weeks and see how it goes. So we have a lot of non perishable stuff, freezer is full, lots of UHT milk, tea, coffee, paracetemol, dog food, prescription meds and just today managed to order some more hand sanitiser. A lot of that I give to my mum as she is 96 and her need is greater than mine I think.
However I'm still worried about it as I honestly can't see an end to this and every day it's like waking up to a nightmare.
As of the last few days we have decided to just go nowhere other than walking the dog and getting our groceries online. My friend in the USA even disinfects his groceries, not sure I'm going to go that far just yet.
We are both in our 60's so more at risk, although we don't have any underlying health issues, but it's still a huge worry all the same :(

@simonblue hope you make a quick and speedy recovery mate. Sending positive thoughts and wishes your way.

We don't keep enough food in the house to last two days, let alone two weeks, I shop daily for meals - So I ordered a couple of bags of huel today - full nutritional meal replacement, could live on that for a few weeks if it came to it.

A bit of rationing might actually do the nation some good. I'm not being glib, there's actually lots of evidence that the UK was at it's most healthy in the years immediately following the end of WWII. A low fat, low sugar diet with strict portion control and as much fresh fruit and veg as possible has long been argued by nutritionists as the most healthy diet, although I imagine that these days the consumption of high sugar snacks would go up during a period of restricted dietary variety.. What we learnt from rationing

A bit of rationing might actually do the nation some good. I'm not being glib, there's actually lots of evidence that the UK was at it's most healthy in the years immediately following the end of WWII. A low fat, low sugar diet with strict portion control and as much fresh fruit and veg as possible has long been argued by nutritionists as the most healthy diet, although I imagine that these days the consumption of high sugar snacks would go up during a period of restricted dietary variety.. What we learnt from rationing

Except the produce that keeps longest is highly processed foods, usually carb and sugar heavy, and fresh fruit and veg has both a short shelf life and is expensive.

I've got enough food and supplies to last a good 2-3 months (minus bread and milk - probably a month if I rationed).
Nice one.

Where are you? At what point will civilisation break down and the non-preppers can loot the preppers?

Except the produce that keeps longest is highly processed foods, usually carb and sugar heavy, and fresh fruit and veg has both a short shelf life and is expensive.

Indeed, and high sugar, high carb food is now much more prevalent, readily available and cheap than it was 70 years ago. Plus, there's a big difference between having your international supply chains restricted, as was the case in WWII, and people self isolating on mass, which may happen here. It would be interesting to know whether the average person has more or less access to garden/green space which could be used to grow veg now?

Indeed, and high sugar, high carb food is now much more prevalent, readily available and cheap than it was 70 years ago. Plus, there's a big difference between having your international supply chains restricted, as was the case in WWII, and people self isolating on mass, which may happen here. It would be interesting to know whether the average person has more or less access to garden/green space which could be used to grow veg now?

I'm not turning my Koi into Sashimi!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom