Quantcast

Coronavirus: Pangolins found to carry viruses related to Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaNut

"
Pangolins smuggled into China have been confirmed to contain viruses closely related to the one sweeping the world.

Sale of the animals in wildlife markets should be strictly prohibited to minimise the risk of future outbreaks, says an international team.

Pangolins are the most-commonly illegally trafficked mammal, used both as food and in traditional medicine. "

acatweasel

Standard Member
More media rubbish. Respiratory viruses are known in just about any species, and the viruses frequently cross species barriers (bird flu, swine flu) . Take a look on this list, and decide if we should prohibit movement of birds, pigs, bats, etc, etc....
Probably put about by a Pangolin anti-trafficker.
The list would be a lot longer if we had the time to test everything.

JabbaNut

More media rubbish. Respiratory viruses are known in just about any species, and the viruses frequently cross species barriers (bird flu, swine flu) . Take a look on this list, and decide if we should prohibit movement of birds, pigs, bats, etc, etc....
Probably put about by a Pangolin anti-trafficker.
The list would be a lot longer if we had the time to test everything.
You cannot trust wikipedia, time a again it has proven to be manipulated carbage.

JabbaNut

"
The deadly novel coronavirus pandemic has been traced to pangolins, the world’s most trafficked and endangered mammal, according to researchers from the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. This had been confirmed by researchers at the South China Agricultural University.

Today Our Burning Planet can reveal that DNA analysed by the Baylor researchers appears to offer a near-perfect match for the current outbreak of novel coronavirus (nCoV-2019), an acute respiratory disease that has killed hundreds. "

" The Baylor analysis, based on a separate study of 21 Malayan pangolins (Manis javanica) at a wildlife rescue centre in China’s Guangdong province, shows that highly endangered pangolins are vectors for the viral strain nCoV-2019. This has unleashed a global health emergency and resulted in a national ban in China on the consumption and trade of wildlife. "

Also

acatweasel

Standard Member
As may be, but it was the first coronaviridae list I could find. I can find others if you like. More importantly, if Wikipedia isn’t to be trusted, would you trust a decent Biochemisty and Microbiology degree? Because I have one.
The point being that these types of viruses have made species jumps before. Singling out pangolins is not smart.

JabbaNut

Will you be contacting

" Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. This had been confirmed by researchers at the South China Agricultural University. "

To state that " would you trust a decent Biochemisty and Microbiology degree? Because I have one."

And they should tear up their qualifications and stop wasting time, in your educated opinion?

:rolleyes::facepalm:

acatweasel

Standard Member
Already read some of it, have you read what I put originally? Which part of it did you not like?
”More media rubbish” or “Respiratory viruses are known in just about any species, and the viruses frequently cross species barriers (bird flu, swine flu)”

JabbaNut

Already read some of it, have you read what I put originally? Which part of it did you not like?
”More media rubbish” or “Respiratory viruses are known in just about any species, and the viruses frequently cross species barriers (bird flu, swine flu)”
I see you have truth stuck in your throat and your brain is choking on it.

mushii

Distinguished Member
And.. some British Scientists with Doctorate Degrees also said...

Prof Andrew Cunningham of Zoological Society of London (ZSL) said it was important not to jump to conclusions from the paper. "The source of the detected coronavirus really is unknown - it might have been a natural pangolin virus or have jumped from another species between capture and death."

And Dr Dan Challender, of the University of Oxford, said pangolins are known to host various strains of coronaviruses. "Identifying the source of SARS-CoV-2 is important to understand the emergence of the current pandemic, and in preventing similar events in the future," he said.

Burning Planet....hmm really reliable source of scientific information which was regurgitated by Daily Maverick's, investigative journalists, whose qualifications in microbiology are..... zero. Daily Maverick is the internet's version of News of the World and Tinfoil hat Monthly - I think even Fox News (sic) has more credibility. Why not go and ask Facebook next time.

JabbaNut

And.. some British Scientists with Doctorate Degrees also said...

Prof Andrew Cunningham of Zoological Society of London (ZSL) said it was important not to jump to conclusions from the paper. "The source of the detected coronavirus really is unknown - it might have been a natural pangolin virus or have jumped from another species between capture and death."

And Dr Dan Challender, of the University of Oxford, said pangolins are known to host various strains of coronaviruses. "Identifying the source of SARS-CoV-2 is important to understand the emergence of the current pandemic, and in preventing similar events in the future," he said.

Burning Planet....hmm really reliable source of scientific information which was regurgitated by Daily Maverick's, investigative journalists, whose qualifications in microbiology are..... zero. Daily Maverick is the internet's version of News of the World and Tinfoil hat Monthly - I think even Fox News (sic) has more credibility. Why not go and ask Facebook next time.
Links to your quotes?

acatweasel

Standard Member
While I'm trying to avoid cabin fever, I had a look at the research from Baylor. I've attached the citation link to the research if anybody really wants to have a look. Pangolins could be a vector into humans, no doubt.
My point originally was that the media blow this into something with certainty. Other scientists are pointing out that they have only tested one potential route and there could be others that are more valid.
As a "by the way" and if you do read it, a 96% correlation on a mutating RNA virus isn't necessarily a great figure for certainty - from bats in this case. According to some sources there is a 99% DNA correlation between me and a chimpanzee (no comments thanks, I'll have thought of most of them).
Have fun with it (!?!) and stay safe.

Attachments

mushii

Distinguished Member
Links to your quotes?
In your original post, which evidently you have not read. I would suggest before you start trolling and flaming people with your pseudo-science posts, you actually read what it is your posting. What little credibility you had with your posts just fell away to nothing.

I would also suggest that before calling people on here out, it is good to remember some of us on here actually have Science Degrees also, mine happens to be a MSc with a Science Post Grad. I am happy to have an intelligent conversation, without flaming, if you would like to present a coherent discussion. But please do not present information from the Daily Enquirer or News of the World et al and expect intelligent people not to challenge what is evidently click-bait bull-sh*t, it is insulting. It may win you kudos on Chav-book, but here it is seen for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom