Coronavirus Laws Extended For 6 Months

mark occy

MPs have voted to extend the government's emergency COVID legislation for another six months.
Despite opposition from more than 30 Tory backbenchers, the Coronavirus Act 2020 was passed by 484 votes to 76, a majority of 408.

MPs also approved the regulations underpinning the steps to ease restrictions from 29 March as laid out in Boris Johnson's COVID-19 roadmap out of lockdown.

We are far from out of this even though people are being vaccinated. Hospitalisation is lower now below 5000. Death rates are very low, unfortunately people are sadly dying from this deadly disease.

I think the government are just being very cautious.

Aye Up

Of course they are being cautious and rightly so......Westminster knows this really needs to be the last lockdown. I suspect steps 2 and 3 in the roadmap will go through as planned, however the removal of all legal restrictions in step 4 will be delayed. This is just my opinion, but given the upheaval on the continent with a surge in cases, Gov as far as England goes will keep masks and social distancing in effect. Its not the end of the world, but we'll still get to see family and friends etc come June, just that last point maybe delayed.

Of course they are being cautious and rightly so......Westminster knows this really needs to be the last lockdown. I suspect steps 2 and 3 in the roadmap will go through as planned, however the removal of all legal restrictions in step 4 will be delayed. This is just my opinion, but given the upheaval on the continent with a surge in cases, Gov as far as England goes will keep masks and social distancing in effect. Its not the end of the world, but we'll still get to see family and friends etc come June, just that last point maybe delayed.
When would you do this then if all the population is vaccinated, deaths, cases and hospitalisation are low what is your criteria for removing all restrictions?

Aye Up

When would you do this then if all the population is vaccinated, deaths, cases and hospitalisation are low what is your criteria for removing all restrictions?
I think this relies on them remaining low, if there is a surge in cases as a result of what is happening on the continent, then the Gov will think twice about that last step. We also have to factor in the reduction in vaccine supply and whether that is going to have any knock on effects to delays etc. I do believe the government wants to get the economy open ASAP, but the removal of all legal restrictions might happen later. I'm no fortune teller and could be very wrong in my thoughts, I think government will be very careful about that last step.

richp007

Distinguished Member
overly cautious I might say. With a view to the elections in May and not wanting another mini surge.

It's better to be overly cautious than screw this up. This is the endgame now, the nation won't be able to take another fudge up that could lead to more lockdown. Getting it right now is essential.

TheFamousSonic1997

I really hope I'll be able to hug my friend later this year. I haven't seen her since January last year! I've phoned her yesterday as it was her birthday and she sent me a photo of her in the care home holding her mums hand and I couldn't help but to cry at that! I've never realised how powerful physical contact can be until this pandemic started. This makes me hope that social distancing will get scrapped and we'll all be able to hug each other again. I really don't want to keep distancing for another 10 years. I was crying my eyes out when I saw that Lord Sumption article.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom