Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters
In a nutshell, the government has transferred millions of UK patients' NHS data to Amazon, Google, Faculty and Palantir.
The NHS does this day in day out with our data, they don't in the main host their own systems in their own data centres. These agreements are what allow the data to be hosted and interrogated by systems, with data ownership being held by the NHS and them being the Caldicott Guardian under data protection laws.

It's becoming more and more frequent that Amazon's AWS and Google's hosted Hadoop back end are used in the UK Gov machinery. Azure by MS too.

I had a scan of those contracts and tbh they look standard fare for these kinds of things.

Why bother consulting the NHS? This government clearly doesn’t understand ‘joined up’ thinking...

NHS boss blasts Matt Hancock for giving 'no notice or consultation' on face mask rule change in hospitals

‘Matt Hancock's plan for all hospital staff to wear surgical face masks and for visitors and outpatients to wear face coverings was made without consultation, an NHS boss has claimed‘

’Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers, criticised the Government for appearing to make decisions "on the hoof" that seem "overly influenced by politics".

’The Health Secretary announced the new policy on face coverings in hospitals at Friday evening's Downing Street coronavirus press conference.
He said the Government wanted to ensure that "even as the virus comes under control", hospitals are a place of "care and of safety".

But speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Hopson said the policy was announced "with absolutely no notice or consultation" with NHS trusts’

In all honesty I agree that this is the thing that makes it appear like they're making it up as they go along.

'A wing and a prayer' now my goto phrase for government strategy.

In all honesty I agree that this is the thing that makes it appear like they're making it up as they go along.

'A wing and a prayer' now my goto phrase for government strategy.

The little people that drive the economy it seems that many a goverment do not give two shits about as long as we get back out there . The bigger fish are what they want to reel in to show the UK is open to money and only money .

I had a scan of those contracts and tbh they look standard fare for these kinds of things.

Does that include awarding a one million pound contract to a company linked with senior Conservative Party representatives (and a more than cosy relationship with its spin doctor in chief)?

If that's standard practice then what I stated a few pages back holds entirely true. Our govermment is now so institutionally corrupt that we simply accept this and shrug our shoulders.

In decades past corruption and conflicts of interest would have led to resignations. Now such things pass without a raised eyebrow. How low we've sunk (or been dragged down).

I guess in the grand scheme of government contracts a one million pound deal is relatively small scale. Every little helps.

Even if there's no direct payment, or formal reciprocal arrangement, there's still a significant conflict of interest. I'd suggest there's more than nothing to see here.

Have a gander yourself . Fake news if you like that taste .

Bare in mind this is an accountable error .

So , now what fella ?

I'm full of bull ?

All well and good reading the news, but it's helpful if you understand it.

The accountable error involves furloughed workers and this error is present in both figures for April and May.

The Unemployment rate for April including an accountable error was 20% and the dropped to 16% for May. So yes the employment numbers have increased even if the numbers unemployed are higher than what we are being told.

The little people that drive the economy it seems that many a goverment do not give two sh*ts about as long as we get back out there . The bigger fish are what they want to reel in to show the UK is open to money and only money .

The problem is (and remains) that the economy needed to get going again, but we're doing so without a strategy, nor the adequate tools and operations in place to do so.

I think to believe otherwise is just burying one's head in the sand and hoping for the best.

There are factors of course that the government can't control - like these protests going on - but their desire to push on and this time "Get the virus done" is a very big risk. One not adequately calculated.

I sense the scientists know this now and are worried about associating themselves too heavily with what's happening.

It's funny there was a school of thought for a while, particularly in the track and trace app thread, that you weren't doing your duty to fight the virus if you didn't download the app and suck up the concerns about privacy.

There's a wider issue here.

If this discourages people from downloading the app there's a public health implication. Our ability to test, track and trace is diminished, all because the government engaged in cronyism.

If I wanted to unpack this a little further, I'd say that concern for an incestuous sect of business interests has taken precedence over public health. Money among friends trumps people and lives.

their desire to push on and this time "Get the virus done" is a very big risk. One not adequately calculated.

I think it's worse than that. They understand the risks well. How couldn't they? We all do.

They understand the risks and they're doing it anyway.

The problem is (and remains) that the economy needed to get going again, but we're doing so without a strategy, nor the adequate tools and operations in place to do so.

I think to believe otherwise is just burying one's head in the sand and hoping for the best.

There are factors of course that the government can't control - like these protests going on - but their desire to push on and this time "Get the virus done" is a very big risk. One not adequately calculated.

I sense the scientists know this now and are worried about associating themselves too heavily with what's happening.

Please forgive me if incorrect . Was not track and trace and the goverment app a major part of opening up our econemy with C19 out there ? If this integeral part of our goverments plan is stalled until Autumn then how can we push through now on open all hours .

Why in the UK are we struggling to control the R number over other EU nations,?

Last edited:
8132FC0B-855F-4EB5-9971-76B6A1EF8480.jpeg

Why bother consulting the NHS? This government clearly doesn’t understand ‘joined up’ thinking...

NHS boss blasts Matt Hancock for giving 'no notice or consultation' on face mask rule change in hospitals

But speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Hopson said the policy was announced "with absolutely no notice or consultation" with NHS trusts’

Confused now. Is this because the NHS are not having two weeks notice.?

Nope , sorry to deflate your boat but this is incorrect . The US Labour department has admitted its error in missclarification on May jobs figures that have nothing at all to do with April figures .

The Labor Department admitted that government household survey-takers mistakenly counted about 4.9 million temporarily laid-off people as employed.

Prefer facts,to changing of goal posts.

Is not manipulating the jobs market to manipulate the stock market a federal offence ?

You prefer cherry picking facts.

I've already explained that the same error can also be applied to the April figures. If you want consistent data, include it for both months or neither.

You claimed a job surge as in the US even though a blatant lie. Going from an unemployment rate of 20% to 16% from April to May with an accountable error or from 14.7% to 13.3% without shows there was an increase in employment whatever way you look at it. But carry on accusing me of moving the goalposts when it's obvious that's just what you've done.

Last edited:
The government has been urged to plan for a second wave...

Prime minister told to dump rhetoric and plan for new Covid wave

‘Senior figures from across the NHS have issued an urgent plea for a comprehensive plan to tackle a second wave of coronavirus infections, as Boris Johnson continues to lose public confidence in his handling of the pandemic.

The Observer spoke to organisations including the Royal College of GPs, the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, the Royal College of Anaesthetists, the NHS Confederation and NHS Providers on how ministers should plan for a potential second wave.

They called for:

• An “aggressive public health campaign” to boost flu immunisation to stop the NHS having to deal with flu as well as Covid-19 outbreaks this winter.

• The retraining of more hospital staff so that they could be a “reserve” force, redeployed in the event of a second peak.

• The retaining of private hospital space to help deal with the NHS backlog.

• A comprehensive plan to protect care homes from a second peak in Covid-19 infections.

There were also demands for more open communication about the risks ahead and the strategy being adopted, following Johnson’s much-criticised claim that the UK would have a “world-beating” test and trace system by the start of June’

Two weeks notice? A proper functioning government should be consulting with those directly affected by their announcements ie NHS.

It's not confusing at all is it. The lack of consultation is worrying when it's meant to be we're "all in this together". Why on earth wouldn't you consult? Heads together is how you succeed.

‘Senior figures from across the NHS have issued an urgent plea for a comprehensive plan to tackle a second wave of coronavirus infections, as Boris Johnson continues to lose public confidence in his handling of the pandemic.

The Observer spoke to organisations including the Royal College of GPs, the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, the Royal College of Anaesthetists, the NHS Confederation and NHS Providers on how ministers should plan for a potential second wave.

They called for:

• An “aggressive public health campaign” to boost flu immunisation to stop the NHS having to deal with flu as well as Covid-19 outbreaks this winter.

• The retraining of more hospital staff so that they could be a “reserve” force, redeployed in the event of a second peak.

• A comprehensive plan to protect care homes from a second peak in Covid-19 infections.

There were also demands for more open communication about the risks ahead and the strategy being adopted, following Johnson’s much-criticised claim that the UK would have a “world-beating” test and trace system by the start of June’

Well the government won't drop the rhetoric, but plans for a second wave should already have been formulated regardless. Or at the very least be in motion as of this moment.

To not have a plan would be reckless and irresponsible. To both the health of individuals and the economy.

I’m surprised there aren’t more injuries in gov’t outsourcing departments caused by people being hit by all the flying brown envelopes.

Oh it gets better :D

After getting the contract they then it appears sent out messages on Twitter and LinkedIn asking for supplies of PPE themselves :laugh:

Please forgive me if incorrect . Was not track and trace and the goverment app a major part of opening up our econemy with C19 out there ? If this integeral part of our goverments plan is stalled until Autumn then how can we push through now on open all hours .

Yes it was. A world beating system that was due 7 days ago.

Having seen South Korea's in action earlier, I dare say Johnson's interpretation of world beating might need to be reassessed :laugh:

I think it's worse than that. They understand the risks well. How couldn't they? We all do.

They understand the risks and they're doing it anyway.

Desperation has forced their hand.

They're just hoping now as we are that we get away with it i.e. there not being a second wave.

They called for:

I dont think Boris Johnson is capable,of anything other than rhetoric :(

Last edited:
I dont think Boris Johnson is capable,of anything other than rhetoric :(
That’s all we’ve had is rhetoric. In the true sense of the word. Although some have a dislike of this word but, it does accurately describes lack of substance on display from this incompetent government.
The catalogue of errors and misjudgment are too long for this to be a coincidence. There have been serious failings in the handling of this pandemic and sadly the UK’s excessive death rates are the result of this. It appears this government is too preoccupied with other matters to care. In a word, it’s reckless.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom