Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters
BBC said:
'Fever and spasms'
Mr Cummings' wife, Mary Wakefield, wrote about their experience of the disease in the Spectator magazine.

"I felt breathless, sometimes achy, but Dom couldn't get out of bed," she said. "Day in, day out for 10 days he lay doggo with a high fever and spasms that made the muscles lump and twitch in his legs."

Also in the magazine, Mr Cummings wrote about his experience of self-isolating with his wife, saying that "at the end of March and for the first two weeks of April I was ill, so we were both shut in together".

Doesn't sound as though Mr Cummings was very well at all.

I suspect there might be calls for it to return. I think I can see an urgent question coming....

At least today's press conference will be interesting. I wonder which poor sod will be wheeled out for that.

That particularly gets me, since he and I are of the same age and have sometimes been out of my mind with worry, like so many others, regarding our elderly parents and when we'll see them again. Really got to me because of my dad's various health issues, no potential comorbidities but he does have these funny turns physically and isn't as alert as he used to be, with suspected TIAs, and I can't travel the 90ish miles to them every few weeks to help out around the house and garden and do their big shopping or just hug and kiss them, because I don't want to put them at serious risk.

I'm the same sort of age and, likewise, geographically removed from parents. Both have comorbidities that mean they're officially at high risk. I also can't see my disabled brother, who desperately needs support.

I've had to limit support to what I can do over the phone and online. I speak to family every day. We frequently question when we'll be able to meet again, though I'll do nothing that places anyone at risk.

Our stories aren't unusual, which is one of the reasons people reacted so strongly to the Cummings revelation. On top of that, the government is now stressing that what Cummings did wasn't criminal, as though that should be the standard applied. Ferguson and Calderwood's actions weren't criminal, but they had no stay of execution and were publicly condemned by members of the Tory frontbench.

At least today's press conference will be interesting. I wonder which poor sod will be wheeled out for that.

Cabinet leaving meeting where they decide who does the press release today.

giphy.gif

I hope Cummings does it and they give him a full WWE style entrance with Demi Levato's 'Sorry not Sorry' blaring out from some loudspeakers.

What's startling is No.10 now firmly believing he was following guidelines.

So they never actually knew what their own guidelines were....

I guess "Staying Alert" might cover it though.....

And do I even pull out the "Common Sense" card..... 🤔

Did she actually mention anything factually incorrect? Perhaps I’m missing something but with those two statements she seems to be reporting no different than what the Guardian article wrote.

In contrast with Neil Ferguson being visited by someone who wasn’t Covid-positive;

1645A2B9-B48C-4A82-8CCA-F11F9FA9ED0E.jpeg

I guess the senior SPAD at No10 travelling whilst both he and his wife were potentially positive isn’t “a hell of a story”?

Edit: According to the linked sob-story, sorry ‘article’ above by Cummings’ wife, surely they were both too ill to drive to Durham if they were having spasms and couldn’t get out of bed? Either, one of these stories is false, or someone else drove them to Durham, which means someone else also knew about him “stretching“ the rules for his own benefit.

Last edited:

So they never actually knew what their own guidelines were....

I guess "Staying Alert" might cover it though.....

And do I even pull out the "Common Sense" card..... 🤔

Just for the craic, Nicola S should announce Cath Calderwood is doing todays briefing, the Scots Tories would literally spontaneously combust :laugh:

In contrast with Neil Ferguson being visited by someone who wasn’t Covid-positive;

View attachment 1304552
I guess the senior SPAD at No10 travelling whilst both he and his wife were potentially positive isn’t “a hell of a story”?

Edit: According to the linked sob-story, sorry ‘article’ above by Cummings’ wife, surely they were both too ill to drive to Durham if they were having spasms and couldn’t get out of bed? Either, one of these stories is false, or someone else drove them to Durham, which means someone else also knew about him “stretching“ the rules for his own benefit.

Roughly translated as it's an absolute shitshow.

I saw all this breaking last night, and if I'm honest I was too busy watching Inception to take much notice. I thought it was a storm in a teacup at first.

Then after catching up this morning over breakfast I'm absolutely astounded. I'm not even sure what No.10 are doing with the staunch defence.

They're very much creating an "us and them" atmosphere with it, and it is dangerous and irresponsible at a very crucial time for us all.

View attachment 1304552

But that that make it wrong what she tweeted? Your comment is about what she didn’t tweet. A bit like when I don’t comment on a post here but do comment on another post. No commenting doesn’t equal agreement.

Garry, nobody's objective. We all bring perspectives to every discussion. Perfect objectivity is impossible, even among those who strive for it.

As I've argued, if we discounted every comment that lacked objectivity we'd be unable to discuss anything. I've also suggested that we should be grateful this isn't an echo chamber - that we're at least encountering perspectives that challenge our own.

Branding everyone you disagree with in dismissive terms doesn't help. It only degrades the conversation.

Exactly!

I didn't vote, but if I did, rconservative looked okay based on the fact that I felt as if Labour weren't encouraging economic migration and they at one point sounded like a dodgy Carphone Warehouse advertisement.

Regardless, I'm still not going to hold my punches on if the conservative government is not up to scratch in dealing with a pandemic.

I find it really sad that some users, because they voted for a specific government, feel the need to support and defend them until the bitter end. Just because you voted for someone, doesn't mean they can do no wrong. Challenging a government, whether you wanted them elected or not, is extremely important.

I'm not sure they firmly believe it. They're definitely firmly stating it.

Maybe this is Cummings' Everest. Can a man of such high self regard surmount this challenge? Should we marvel at his efforts? Perhaps it's not his Everest, but rather his Waterloo.

Challenging a government, whether you wanted them elected or not, is extremely important.

Challenging a government, and being able to challenge a government, are cornerstones of a healthy democracy. That's why I find Cummings' and Johnson's determination to remove checks and balances on government alarming.

Hopefully the opposition is firmly up to the challenge

But that that make it wrong what she tweeted? Your comment is about what she didn’t tweet. A bit like when I don’t comment on a post here but do comment on another post. No commenting doesn’t equal agreement.

Ok, I’ll clarify my point further. When it’s a senior scientific member of SAGE, who ignores the lockdown rules implemented as a result of his (in part) advice, Laura K tweets a non-specific/non-defence pile on. When it’s Dominic Cummings, who was also on SAGE, and also Covid-positive (as was his wife), she goes out of her way to tweet numerous messages indirectly defending his actions. Not posting criticism is arguably the same (in this instance) as specifically posting defence.

Apologies if that wasn’t obvious from my post, other posters understood the connotation but happy to clarify.

Well old Matt hasn't let us down.

So he can’t find childcare in the largest city in the U.K., and the support of the entire Government to find someone suitable (as in, lots of people to advise)?

It’s pretty disappointing to see the Health Secretary publicly supporting someone breaking the Lockdown guidance he’s supposedly in favour of.

Police should consider action against Neil Ferguson over lockdown breach, Matt Hancock suggests

Police should consider action against the scientist who was forced to step down as a Government adviser after admitting he broke the social distancing rules he had been influential in bringing about, Matt Hancock has suggested.

The Health Secretary said the "extraordinary" actions of Professor Neil Ferguson, who The Telegraph revealed allowed his married lover to visit him at home, had left him "speechless".

Speaking after the disclosure led the Imperial College scientist to quit his role on the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage), Mr Hancock said he had taken "the right decision to resign".

Well old Matt hasn't let us down.

I don't need to highlight Hancock's earlier observations on Ferguson. Dr. Mike Golsworthy has done that in response to Hancock's tweet. It's as though the government thinks we can't read.

All this from a Patsy that Johnson and Cummings will throw to the wolves when most expedient.

Ok, I’ll clarify my point further. When it’s a senior scientific member of SAGE, who ignores the lockdown rules implemented as a result of his (in part) advice, Laura K tweets a non-specific/non-defence pile on. When it’s Dominic Cummings, who was also on SAGE, and also Covid-positive (as was his wife), she goes out of her way to tweet numerous messages indirectly defending his actions. Not posting criticism is arguably the same (in this instance) as specifically posting defence.

Apologies if that wasn’t obvious from my post, other posters understood the connotation but happy to clarify.
Oh I understood, just don’t agree with it. Just like I didn’t agree with other posters. The situation is grave enough that there is plenty there without having to add things to it in my opinion.

Remember 😍😂
C5FC47E7-9274-48DE-A71A-1B7CD6EFAFB9.jpeg

So he can’t find childcare in the largest city in the U.K., and the support of the entire Government to find someone suitable (as in, lots of people to advise)?

It’s pretty disappointing to see the Health Secretary publicly supporting someone breaking the Lockdown guidance he’s supposedly in favour of.
Yup, I was thinking that as well. A very weak excuse and no justification at all.

His reaction makes it even worse. And Labour is dealing with it very well I think by not calling for his resignation as per this report

Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings defends 260-mile lockdown trip PM's chief adviser defends 260-mile lockdown trip

Last edited by a moderator:
They're all at it.

Here's Raab's contribution.

The government is in full scale firefighting mode, with strict message discipline. If our media's worth anything this afternoon's briefing should be unmissable.

Maybe the government will shut everyone out of the briefing. You know, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

They're all at it.

Here's Raab's contribution.

The government is in full scale firefighting mode, with strict message discipline. If our media's worth anything this afternoon's briefing should be unmissable.

Maybe the government will shut everyone out of the briefing. You know, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Zoom won’t be working again this afternoon

Police should consider action against Neil Ferguson over lockdown breach, Matt Hancock suggests

Police should consider action against the scientist who was forced to step down as a Government adviser after admitting he broke the social distancing rules he had been influential in bringing about, Matt Hancock has suggested.

The Health Secretary said the "extraordinary" actions of Professor Neil Ferguson, who The Telegraph revealed allowed his married lover to visit him at home, had left him "speechless".

Speaking after the disclosure led the Imperial College scientist to quit his role on the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage), Mr Hancock said he had taken "the right decision to resign".
It stinks of hypocrisy! is it any wonder why some question the judgment of this government when double standards like this are evident?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom