Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters
And a leader is really what we need right now.

To get across some of the most important messages for a political generation. Yet he's fluffing his lines every night. Much of the nation isn't listening.

Sunak looked more like a leader in his brief moment in the spotlight.

In light of my previous post though, I'm genuinely interested to hear about what you think he isn't doing wrong.

It's something this thread has been lacking in order to give it balance.

Agree. I was amazed that the Number 11 tea boy is an actually decent, good communicator. Considering his baptism by fire, he's nailed his briefings. Makes Johnson look even worse TBH.

There we go, I praised a member of the front bench. Save this post, savour it, it won't happen often.

Wonder what would have happened if the virus had arrived a year earlier - wishy washy PM with no majority to do anything, politicians - and the Speaker - more interested in scoring infantile points off each other rather than doing anything.

They'd still be debating what to call it!

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like if we had Corbyn as PM.

A National whist drive?
Jumble sales for Covid-19?
Possibly some kind of large scale protest about something undefinable?
A national day of mourning as the leader of ISIS died from CoronaVirus?

A National whist drive?
Your're really scraping the bottom of the barrel in that slur.

Sorry, it's not like he's attended the funerals of terrorists in the past or shown any favoritism to them.

I do wish people would bore off with politicising this viral outbreak.

A National whist drive?

6F9FC87C-73B4-46CC-AEE1-7ABD01263F20.jpeg

ermmmm....

Yeah before we get brought back on track it would be great to see all those who just moaned and agreed about this being a political points scoring thread, come back and complain now that Labour and Corbyn have been brought into it too? You know, just for balance.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while :laugh:

Yeah before we get brought back on track it would be great to see all those who just moaned and agreed about this being a political points scoring thread, come back and complain now that Labour and Corbyn have been brought into it too? You know, just for balance.

I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while :laugh:

On a more serious note, one plus I would give for Boris is that he does seem to be listening to his scientists. I do think though more urgent measures need to be put in place.

Edit.. technically a reply to your earlier post but quoted the wrong one Sorry

Whereas overall I am comfortable with what the government is doing though they certainly could do more on the selfish scum bulk buying but where I feel that they are letting us down is the issue of personal safety gear for our frontline services. They have been pretty economic with the truth, on the one hand we are told that there is not an issue, I think the communities minister came up with that one on the Andrew Marr show yet today the health minister tell us there are 'challenges' which is politics speak for we have not been getting the supplies to where they are needed which is pretty much everywhere.

And, I found the post funny, so what.
There's a quartet of posters who manage to complain about the Tories constantly.
They've been consistently posting on the politics board doom and gloom surrounding Brexit.
This thread is noticeable, the same string quartet are playing the same tune.zzz.

Once we go into lock down the complaints will continue, they'll just find a different avenue.

And, I found the post funny, so what.
There's a quartet of posters who manage to complain about the Tories constantly.
They've been consistently posting on the politics board doom and gloom surrounding Brexit.
This thread is noticeable, the same string quartet are playing the same tune.zzz.

Once we go into lock down the complaints will continue, they'll just find a different avenue.

It was light hearted mate, and fwiw I posted something similar the other day:smashin:

And a leader is really what we need right now.

To get across some of the most important messages for a political generation. Yet he's fluffing his lines every night. Much of the nation isn't listening.

Sunak looked more like a leader in his brief moment in the spotlight.

In light of my previous post though, I'm genuinely interested to hear about what you think he isn't doing wrong.

It's something this thread has been lacking in order to give it balance.

Obviously not being a pandemic expert I was trusting the government to make the best decision for this country, up until this weekend I thought they were doing a fairly decent job.

However, after all the numpties (being polite) were out in force over the weekend we definitely need some firmer action!

On come on, the British political class have nearly always been dithering, it's the British way. Look at May, look at the British before ww2.

It's what those types do, dither, wet lettuce. To be fair the populace is the same.

Like my eastern European girlfriend says of the British, 'Too dam polite and back stabbers'.

England's still polite? I think thats really just a mis-conception. Most people from different cultures I meet are far more polite than our own.

England's still polite? I think thats really just a mis-conception. Most people from different cultures I meet are far more polite than our own.
That's her own comparative experience, in comparison to her culture we're very, very polite.

On a more serious note, one plus I would give for Boris is that he does seem to be listening to his scientists. I do think though more urgent measures need to be put in place.

Fair enough, but my opinion is that thus far our science is proving to be somewhat ineffectual, and indeed seems to be in contrary to the science leading other nations.

Whilst I know there isn't a one size fits all approach, I think for sure we've neglected a few key strategies.

But it is ultimately the government who will be held to account over our success/failures.

He listens to scientists which provide the cheapest methodology.

Obviously not being a pandemic expert I was trusting the government to make the best decision for this country, up until this weekend I thought they were doing a fairly decent job.

However, after all the numpties (being polite) were out in force over the weekend we definitely need some firmer action!

Well action has to come tonight, so there won't be much more to discuss on the lockdown front. It's happening but whether it came too late will soon be known.

I definitely wanted more testing done, doesn't appear to be many experts that disagree with the general rule of thumb of doing as much as possible to track the infection.

yeah - he should be listening to Piers Morgan... then we would all be saved.. ;)

He should try listening to New Zealand's leaders & medical experts.

Well action has to come tonight, so there won't be much more to discuss on the lockdown front. It's happening but whether it came too late will soon be known.

I definitely wanted more testing done, doesn't appear to be many experts that disagree with the general rule of thumb of doing as much as possible to track the infection.

Testing is of paramount importance but its expensive and according to seniors in hospitals, our testing facilities would not be able to cope with community testing.

Why a first world country with the world reknowned NHS is unable to cope with community testing whilst every other country can.. really perplexes me?

I feel chronic under funding of the NHS has basically led to it being able to do something as simple as turn around tests quick enough during a pandemic.

For that its the governments and public's fault as I feel support for it has never been as strong as it should have been. Medical professional's tried with the Junior Doctor strike, the government didn't fold.. the medics did in patient's best interests.

Yes, the lack of testing is an issue, for new cases and at border controls it would seem.

The problem is if you lock down the country you are basically crashing the economy for the next 5+ years. Presently everyone politician, economist and most of you are assuming this will last 12 weeks and everything will get back to normal quickly thereafter.

The problem the Government faces is that the lockdown will have to last until there is a vaccine which is 12 months plus away and hoping it does not mutate in this time and become deadlier. I am not sure everyone is ready for putting their whole lives on hold for 12 months which it will take.

If it last that long you will see at least 60% unemployment, economy crash by 40-60%. It really is a difficult question, the virus may kill 1 million, but the economic catastrophe afterwards could kill loads more than that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom