Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 114 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 266 70.0%

• Total voters

chalk40

Sammy is like a cross between Bob Woodward, Deepthroat and Hercule Poirot.
For the purposes of clarification, the deepthroat in question was the meet in the car park and red flag guy rather than the alternative? :)

And you now got me wandering what Sammy looks like now with those three images you list unhealthily in mind :)

Sammyez

Sammy where on earth do you find this stuff? Is quality material.

Do you actually have a day job or work at Chatham House ? :)
It’s good to read the positive comments that my posts have resonated with some people on this thread. Of course, not so long ago I was accused of points scoring, rhetoric and having nothing positive to say. Not that it matters but, I think we’ve overcome that issue now

As you’ve probably gathered I’ve got an active interest in this issue of the government’s pandemic strategy (or lack of to be more precise) Moreover, I am horrified by the blatant cronyism and wasting of taxpayers money running into the Billions. The more I look into it the more information I find. The excellent work done by The Good Law Project and The Byline Times should get all the credit though. They’ve done a sterling job in helping to unearth some very dubious contracts and highlight some dangerous procurement practices

Anyone, who’s interested should try and listen to my contact Jolyon Maugham QC at The Good Law Project being interviewed on LBC (just before 1pm today) he was explaining the investigations they are doing into the dodgy government PPE contracts, interestingly he mentioned that they had found out the government was willing to pay ‘over the top’ market prices for PPE and, those in the ‘VIP channel’ as he called it were able to capitalise on this knowledge. Using the simple example, if the going rate of an item of PPE was at the 100 level (the supplier would be assumed to make 15 points on this purchasing at the 85 level) However, having the ‘inside knowledge’ that the government was prepared to pay up-to 15 points more, they could charge at the 115 level. Thus making excess profits. Therefore, not only were contracts awarded to organisations with little or no history of PPE provision they had the potential to charge more for it! The words fail me…!

Ps. Looks wise a lot better looking than that lot! ;)

richp007

Distinguished Member
It’s good to read the positive comments that my posts have resonated with some people on this thread. Of course, not so long ago I was accused of points scoring, rhetoric and having nothing positive to say. Not that it matters but, I think we’ve overcome that issue now
Some earlier attempts by a few to shut down conversation were risible and thankfully ignored by most. And dealt with by mods where necessary.

Like with Steve and Starfarer's (and others) posts in the other threads, all titbits of information are welcome to me. Helps build a picture of what's going on across the spectrum. Plus no-one is forced to read what people post anyway. And as long as it's not fake news and in breach of Stuart's guidelines on this section, then it's all fine.

Obviously getting the virus dealt with is priority no.1, but I really hope all this PPE contract business gets brought to the fore in due course. I've found nothing that's defensible of it at all, it's the worst example of cronyism I can ever remember seeing. Including from the old sleaze days.

Last edited:

Sammyez

As you’ve probably gathered I’ve got an active interest in this issue of the government’s pandemic strategy (or lack of to be more precise) Moreover, I am horrified by the blatant cronyism and wasting of taxpayers money running into the Billions. The more I look into it the more information I find. The excellent work done by The Good Law Project and The Byline Times should get all the credit though. They’ve done a sterling job in helping to unearth some very dubious contracts and highlight some dangerous procurement practices

Anyone, who’s interested should try and listen to my contact Jolyon Maugham QC at The Good Law Project being interviewed on LBC (just before 1pm today) he was explaining the investigations they are doing into the dodgy government PPE contracts, interestingly he mentioned that they had found out the government was willing to pay ‘over the top’ market prices for PPE and, those in the ‘VIP channel’ as he called it were able to capitalise on this knowledge. Using the simple example, if the going rate of an item of PPE was at the 100 level (the supplier would be assumed to make 15 points on this purchasing at the 85 level) However, having the ‘inside knowledge’ that the government was prepared to pay up-to 15 points more, they could charge at the 115 level. Thus making excess profits. Therefore, not only were contracts awarded to organisations with little or no history of PPE provision they had the potential to charge more for it! The words fail me…!

Ps. Looks wise a lot better looking than that lot! ;)
As if by magic, I just had an update from The Good Law Project about this issue of ‘vip channel’ and excess prices plus, favoured suppliers...

‘Cabinet contacts awarded COVID19 contracts‘

‘we circulated extracts from leaked Governments proving the existence of special pathways by which “VIP” and “Cabinet Office” contacts could be awarded lucrative PPE contracts at the height of the pandemic – and at inflated prices.

We circulated extracts to protect the anonymity of our source. But today we are in a position to share with you the entirety of a document which was circulated by the ‘Head of Transformation’ at Cabinet Office.

What you can see – second box on the left – is that there was also a free-floating “PPE Cross-Government Co-ordination Team” which had responsibility for both liaison with Ministers and “VIP Triage,” which we think is likely to include making sure that stuff happens quickly and happily for favoured suppliers.

We are working through some specific examples of VIP cases being “triaged” and we hope to be able to bring these to you in the coming days and weeks’

Cabinet contacts awarded COVID19 contracts - Good Law Project

richp007

Distinguished Member
As if by magic, I just had an update from The Good Law Project about this issue of ‘vip channel’ and excess prices plus, favoured suppliers...

‘Cabinet contacts awarded COVID19 contracts‘

‘we circulated extracts from leaked Governments proving the existence of special pathways by which “VIP” and “Cabinet Office” contacts could be awarded lucrative PPE contracts at the height of the pandemic – and at inflated prices.

We circulated extracts to protect the anonymity of our source. But today we are in a position to share with you the entirety of a document which was circulated by the ‘Head of Transformation’ at Cabinet Office.

What you can see – second box on the left – is that there was also a free-floating “PPE Cross-Government Co-ordination Team” which had responsibility for both liaison with Ministers and “VIP Triage,” which we think is likely to include making sure that stuff happens quickly and happily for favoured suppliers.

We are working through some specific examples of VIP cases being “triaged” and we hope to be able to bring these to you in the coming days and weeks’

Cabinet contacts awarded COVID19 contracts - Good Law Project
As if by magic, that old chestnut :laugh:

What you mean is you just met Deepthroat on a park bench and he slipped you a USB drive under a newspaper.

IronGiant

Some earlier attempts by a few to shut down conversation were risible and thankfully ignored by most. And dealt with by mods where necessary.

Like with Steve and Starfarer's (and others) posts in the other threads, all titbits of information are welcome to me. Helps build a picture of what's going on across the spectrum. Plus no-one is forced to read what people post anyway. And as long as it's not fake news and in breach of Stuart's guidelines on this section, then it's all fine.
In the interests of transparency, I misinterpreted Sammy's motives initially and I think at least in part he was referring to me :blush: I trust we have put that behind us now @Sammyez ? :hiya:

richp007

Distinguished Member
In the interests of transparency, I misinterpreted Sammy's motives initially and I think at least in part he was referring to me :blush: I trust we have put that behind us now @Sammyez ? :hiya:
You should play nice with Sammy, we don't know what shady contacts he has made in the underworld these days :D

Sammyez

Yes it’s fair to say we’ve had a few ‘robust’ exchanges not so long ago. It’s water under the bridge as far as I’m concerned

Sammyez

The Government is set to introduce new national lockdown measures on Monday that could draw on Tier 4 plans. Here's what we know about them...

‘Tier 4 lockdown: what would the rules be, and what UK areas could be affected?‘

‘Boris Johnson looks set to announce a new national lockdown as early as next week’

‘This is in part because the Government's current lockdown scheme – the three-tier system – has not stemmed the spread of coronavirus’

Tier 4 lockdown: what would the rules be, and what UK areas could be affected?

richp007

Distinguished Member
More on that.

Unsurprising, But let’s hope they don’t waste the opportunity to fix test and trace. I mean they WILL but let’s hope...
The absolute state of this :laugh: Once again treating the entire country with contempt. Like we're all stupid.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Question is - will it be an immediate lockdown or one where they at least give us a couple of days to prepare?

Edit - also, on reflection, this "oh no there's been a leak" thing is clearly bullsh*t.

chalk40

Yet again it's not the decision is it ... it's the lousy slow moving decision making.

End of September we had knowledgeable folks saying 'do the school half term plus, shutdown'

Then we had Starmer quite reasonably saying, 'he backs experts and wants circuit breaker'

Then our resident clowns are trotted out on prime time to tell us why it's a bad idea and we loose four weeks to do what .... get to the same conclusion.

So we lost the two week window of opportunity, government continue to look like test pilots on Ritalin, national confidence drops to even lower levels than we imagined possible and they leak that a suitably adjusted version of what NI, Wales, France, Germany etc is already doing ... NI I think I'm right in saying with some success.

But hey rest easy team .... this will be a world beating, whackamole, moon shot lockdown .... better than those lousy Germans and French :)

Why on earth don't they do what the less bright kids (me) did at school ... copy off the bright kids .... ze Germans! Sure they got issues now but overall they managing at speed, dispassionately and with conviction. None of those phrases that would resonate in W1 the last year.

Last edited:

Sammyez

Yet again it's not the decision is it ... it's the lousy slow moving decision making.

End of September we had knowledgeable folks saying 'do the school half term plus, shutdown'

Then we had Starmer quite reasonably saying, 'he backs experts and wants circuit breaker'

Then our resident clowns are trotted out on prime time to tell us why it's a bad idea and we loose four weeks to do what .... get to the same conclusion.

So we lost the two week window of opportunity, government continue to look like test pilots on Ritalin, national confidence drops to even lower levels than we imagined possible and they leak that a suitably adjusted version of what NI, Wales, France, Germany etc is already doing ... NI I think I'm right in saying with some success.

But hey rest easy team .... this will be a world beating, whackamole, moon shot lockdown .... better than those lousy Germans and French :)

Why on earth don't they do what the less bright kids (me) did at school ... copy off the bright kids .... ze Germans! Sure they got issues now but overall they managing at speed, dispassionately and with conviction. None of those phrases that would resonate in W1 the last year.
To be fair Johnson et al have been consistent in being ‘late’ in many aspects to do with this pandemic. I’ve shared this before but it perfectly encapsulates the series of blunders...

E26728A2-F0F1-4440-AA62-DF4FC581D28C.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett