Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters
I think many are coming round to the fact that it won't be 12 weeks.

12 months i reckon. And thats with a swift recovery from now.

Even now it’ll probably take the stock market 1-2 years to recover the current losses. Could be a lot more to fall too.

2020 is a gonna for most. Maybe we can save 2021 if we get our act together.

If I have the flu I infect 1.4 people and then that person Infects 1.4 again.
At a ten fold infection rate I have Infected 14 people.
Coronavirus I have Infected 39,000.
Herd immunity sounded good but in reality that's survival of the fittest.
They had enough data on this and instead of listening to the WHO they did it the usual Britain way of we know best.
Absolute incompetence from top to bottom.
Hopefully it's not to late but alas I think it's to late.

If I have the flu I infect 1.4 people and then that person Infects 1.4 again.
At a ten fold infection rate I have Infected 14 people.
Coronavirus I have Infected 39,000.
Herd immunity sounded good but in reality that's survival of the fittest.
They had enough data on this and instead of listening to the WHO they did it the usual Britain way of we know best.
Absolute incompetence from top to bottom.
Hopefully it's not to late but alas I think it's to late.

You're actually short with your numbers there. It's 59,000.

But yes, the public should have been made aware of this more.

I think many are coming round to the fact that it won't be 12 weeks.

12 months i reckon. And thats with a swift recovery from now.

Even now it’ll probably take the stock market 1-2 years to recover the current losses. Could be a lot more to fall too.

2020 is a gonna for most. Maybe we can save 2021 if we get our act together.

Doubt it. Now we are looking at 1930's levels of unemployment and reductions in GDP then that will take many years to recover from - the US didnt recover from the 1929 crash until WW2.

The problem is that containment doesn't work just in the short term, it needs to last for a very long time - as Hong Kong has found out.

Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down

I’m a glass half empy kind of guy but even i wouldn't say 10 years yet.

Anything or everything it still possible.

Some are still saying the world will still see + growth this year. A tad optimistic but we will see.

The thought of Dominic Cummings having any say in decisions in relation to this crisis is frankly terrifying. The man is toxic.

The thought of Dominic Cummings having any say in decisions in relation to this crisis is frankly terrifying. The man is toxic.
Could be worse :eek:

fudgeING hell... actually this isn't even worthy of a response. 😕

It was a bit of a dramatic post tbh.

My point was that people are pretty much knowingly taking a risk on spreading a highly contagious virus which will kill others when they should be isolating and staying at home. Its just plain selfish. :(

It was a bit of a dramatic post tbh.

My point was that people are pretty much knowingly taking a risk on spreading a highly contagious virus which will kill others when they should be isolating and staying at home. Its just plain selfish. :(

I was in the wrong not you, sorry. It's not that bad an analogy when you stop and consider it. I didn't do that and apologise to you.

I’m a bit late to the debate and I’ll be honest I have not read the whole thread as the political bashing gets a bit boring. I’d just like to voice what I think and my family and a lot of the people I have actually talked to do.

I think the government and the opposition have done a cracking job:

- the government have followed scientific advice though out
- they have put some incredible financial plans in place to support companies and individuals
- the situation is incredibly complex and constantly changing. Mistakes will have been made.
- the opposition parties to the most part have not politicised the issue

Maybe mistakes have been made. Maybe not. We will not know for a long time. It could be that the virus is gone in three months. It could be that it bounces round the world in multiple phases for years/decades. I’m waiting until then to look back and learn.

I know the majority of the keyboard warriors, Tory haters, Boris haters etc will not agree and continue to believe they know better, continue to use this as an opportunity for confirmation bias against the government. There are a lot of people out there who are actually pretty proud of what our country is doing right now.

(I’m not a Tory, did not vote for Boris, I just think now is not the time to play politics)

Stay safe every one.

I’m a bit late to the debate and I’ll be honest I have not read the whole thread as the political bashing gets a bit boring. I’d just like to voice what I think and my family and a lot of the people I have actually talked to do.

I think the government and the opposition have done a cracking job:

- the government have followed scientific advice though out
- they have put some incredible financial plans in place to support companies and individuals
- the situation is incredibly complex and constantly changing. Mistakes will have been made.
- the opposition parties to the most part have not politicised the issue

Maybe mistakes have been made. Maybe not. We will not know for a long time. It could be that the virus is gone in three months. It could be that it bounces round the world in multiple phases for years/decades. I’m waiting until then to look back and learn.

I know the majority of the keyboard warriors, Tory haters, Boris haters etc will not agree and continue to believe they know better, continue to use this as an opportunity for confirmation bias against the government. There are a lot of people out there who are actually pretty proud of what our country is doing right now.

(I’m not a Tory, did not vote for Boris, I just think now is not the time to play politics)

Stay safe every one.

Sorry to say,everything is politics.

I think you and your family need to sit down a watch The Darkest Hour,when we were facing one of our Darkest Hour.

:)

IMO anyone who thinks the government have handled this well to date is either easily pleased or a fanboy

As little as 2 weeks ago BoJo was making light of the situation on national TV when it was already in the country, the WHO were criticising our approach and senior clinicians were warning of the likely escalation. We had Grant Shapps (yes the transport secretary) on TV saying we were right and every other countries response was populist only for our 'scientists' to suddenly realise our approach of herd immunity would kill tens if not hundreds of thousands which led to us completing a complete U-turn

Where was the forward planning and allocation of resources, we've now got to the point where the front-line NHS workers are begging for the correct PPE to deal with the escalating casualties and the main bow wave hasn't hit them yet

But even with all that i watched BoJo last night and thought he was much better and far more professional, gone was the play acting and buffoonery to be replaced with someone who finally looked like he grasped the seriousness of the situation and was back in the game. He'd finally taken the decision that needed to be taken, great now we can move forward and deal with whatever hits us

Went to bed, got up this morning and switched on the TV to find all professionalism and competence had evaporated into the ether. We had Michael Gove requiring 3 live TV interviews to get his story straight on something as basic as what happens to children where the parents live apart…..surely someone thought of that, the PM has several kids by multiple women, you’d of thought he at least would of twigged to the point

24 hours after his big speech we now have total chaos over who and what constitutes a critical worker or business and Matt Hancock has briefed that anyone who can’t work at home should go to work

For my job (oil and gas) we do a huge amount of training and role playing around major emergency management, we’re taught the most critical thing in dealing with any incident is communication and understanding of the incident and the plan. His own close circle of senior advisors don’t know what’s going on how’s the general public supposed to?

It’s shambolic and nowhere near good enough. It’s not like mistakes are going to lead to a bit of an overspend on a project, these decisions will be literally life or death for some

Does anyone know whether the grants of 'up to £2,500' per month for the 'Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme' will be taxable? Or is that in the pocket?

IMO anyone who thinks the government have handled this well to date is either easily pleased or a fanboy
IMO anyone who thinks the government hasn't is someone who's never liked the Torreesss anyway. Oh it's you...

I'm also rather interested in how wee Nippy is involved in planning and her strategy doesn't seem any different to Boris's.

Odd how so far she hasn't had any criticism and yet she is involved and has been no different, etc. I shall look forward to criticism of her policy also....

As little as 2 weeks ago BoJo was making light of the situation on national TV when it was already in the country, the WHO were criticising our approach and senior clinicians were warning of the likely escalation. We had Grant Shapps (yes the transport secretary) on TV saying we were right and every other countries response was populist only for our 'scientists' to suddenly realise our approach of herd immunity would kill tens if not hundreds of thousands which led to us completing a complete U-turn

Where was the forward planning and allocation of resources, we've now got to the point where the front-line NHS workers are begging for the correct PPE to deal with the escalating casualties and the main bow wave hasn't hit them yet

But even with all that i watched BoJo last night and thought he was much better and far more professional, gone was the play acting and buffoonery to be replaced with someone who finally looked like he grasped the seriousness of the situation and was back in the game. He'd finally taken the decision that needed to be taken, great now we can move forward and deal with whatever hits us

Went to bed, got up this morning and switched on the TV to find all professionalism and competence had evaporated into the ether. We had Michael Gove requiring 3 live TV interviews to get his story straight on something as basic as what happens to children where the parents live apart…..surely someone thought of that, the PM has several kids by multiple women, you’d of thought he at least would of twigged to the point

24 hours after his big speech we now have total chaos over who and what constitutes a critical worker or business and Matt Hancock has briefed that anyone who can’t work at home should go to work

For my job (oil and gas) we do a huge amount of training and role playing around major emergency management, we’re taught the most critical thing in dealing with any incident is communication and understanding of the incident and the plan. His own close circle of senior advisors don’t know what’s going on how’s the general public supposed to?

It’s shambolic and nowhere near good enough. It’s not like mistakes are going to lead to a bit of an overspend on a project, these decisions will be literally life or death for some
I doubt I’ll ever be surprised ;) You clearly can’t see the bigger picture and the strategy that was being followed and adapted. But hey you’ve got a history of wanting to hear only what you want to hear. And so far have called everything wrong over the last few years. It’s rather boring.

We had Michael Gove requiring 3 live TV interviews to get his story straight on something as basic as what happens to children where the parents live apart…..surely someone thought of that, the PM has several kids by multiple women, you’d of thought he at least would of twigged to the point
Small beer. You decide a major strategic policy for the entire country. You then get millions of examples at an individual level where you suddenly have to make decisions on the hoof.

Part of the ensigns of command is suddenly having to make a decision rapidly. Sometimes it won't be the right one and you have to change it rapidly, people will get things wrong. Unfortunately we have to recruit humans who are fallible.

Churchill was a great wartime leader, we still had military disasters like Dunkirk, Dieppe, Singapore etc. There will be mistakes made, point is, you learn from them, and you carry on.

Small beer. You decide a major strategic policy for the entire country. You then get millions of examples at an individual level where you suddenly have to make decisions on the hoof.

Part of the ensigns of command is suddenly having to make a decision rapidly. Sometimes it won't be the right one and you have to change it rapidly, people will get things wrong. Unfortunately we have to recruit humans who are fallible.

Churchill was a great wartime leader, we still had military disasters like Dunkirk, Dieppe, Singapore etc. There will be mistakes made, point is, you learn from them, and you carry on.

Problem is we alway learn our mistake,with the lives of others :(

Dunkirk was a triumph. What Churchill did at Galipoli is the biggest stain on his reputation.

I cant even begin to imagine how Jeremy Corbyn would be dealing with this..

I cant even begin to imagine how Jeremy Corbyn would be dealing with this..

A National whist drive?
Jumble sales for Covid-19 (Not quite sure if it's pro or against)
Possibly some kind of large scale protest about something undefinable?

Dunkirk was a triumph.
As Winston Churchill described it, a "colossal military disaster" and "wars are not won by evacuations."

It also lost a huge amount of equipment. 76,000 tons of ammunition, 400,000 tons of supplies, 2,500 guns and 64,000 vehicles abandoned. A lot of it reused by Germany.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom