Quantcast

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 98 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 187 65.6%

• Total voters

mikeysthoughts

Oh I agree, but was setting it aside with that 'essential travel' BS from No 10, to examine other flouting which would surely void the destination of that supposed essential travel.
100%, I was backing your point :smashin:.

It is a sad state of our British democracy that an unelected, non-expert 'aide' can wield so much power with zero oversight or accountability.

richp007

Distinguished Member
He missed ...
Surely as someone with parents who are very likely in their 70s or even 80s, this is NOT within the guidelines?!!
So I wonder, are people going to finally wake up to whose running the show?

It would appear without Cummings it all falls apart.

How reassuring in these difficult times....

mikeysthoughts

What I don't understand is how the 90+ year old grandparents were supposed to be "helping with childcare"?

Parents have COVID, ergo kids very likely to have it, even if not displaying symptoms. How do we practice socially-distanced childcare?

Cummings either knew this and was willing to put his parents at risk, or didn't know this and is clearly not fit to sit on scientific advisory panels.

It's a flimsy story o_O

fat jez

Curious that with all the stories and tweets last night, Dominic Cummings was NOT trending on twitter. Other tweets mentioning Durham, Kuenssberg, Ferguson, etc were trending. If I were to don a tin foil hat, I'd suspect No 10 had asked twitter to remove it from their trends.

mikeysthoughts

Curious that with all the stories and tweets last night, Dominic Cummings was NOT trending on twitter. Other tweets mentioning Durham, Kuenssberg, Ferguson, etc were trending. If I were to don a tin foil hat, I'd suspect No 10 had asked twitter to remove it from their trends.
This government has form for manipulating Twitter to misinform the public

Tories rebuked over 'fake' election fact-check stunt

richp007

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1304509

Misterrrrrr Prime Ministerrrr, please explain to the house...

:D
Blackford doesn't even need to get out of bed for this one.

I'm booking in for Wednesday.

The cinema's might be shut, but I've got plenty of popcorn.

Even if Rees-Mogg could get the benches back behind Johnson, I'm not sure they'd come.

This isn't Wayne's World.

Nick74

That's an interesting observation. While Cummings has a well documented history of manipulating social media, I'm not yet inclined to conclude that's what happened here. It's still odd, though...

Panavision

The Durham police and crime commissioner Steve White said: "Given the whole ethos of the guidance and regulations which were designed to reduce the spread, regardless of reason, by travelling to County Durham when known to be infected was most unwise.

"To beat this crisis we need to be selfless as millions have been.

"The response by the people of Durham has been exemplary which makes this most frustrating and concerning."

The government has ordered anyone with coronavirus symptoms to self-isolate at home and not leave - even for essential supplies - for seven days.

fat jez

That's an interesting observation. While Cummings has a well documented history of manipulating social media, I'm not yet inclined to conclude that's what happened here. It's still odd, though...
Contrast this with a third party site that shows current UK trends. I am assuming this is accurate, but I have no evidence to back this. People may draw their own conclusions or look into other non-twitter sites that show trends.

Screengrab taken at approx 11:39am today.

1590230389193.png

True to form, Johnson sticks by Cummings despite the hypocrisy...

‘No 10 have defended Dominic Cummings saying it was “essential” he visited Durham while sick with coronavirus’

"His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally.”

No 10 breaks silence to defend Dominic Cummings' 250-mile trip during lockdown

‘Police have confirmed they visited a property in County Durham after Mr Cummings made the more than 260-mile journey from his London home’

No 10 accused of 'cover up' after reports some at highest levels knew Dominic Cummings broke lockdown
Oh dear, that is not good.

Would I have done the same for my children. Probably. But then also take the consequences like a man.

No matter what the spin he should not have done this. And he should fall, but now the Government and number 10 put themselves in the line of fire.

And yes the real story here is that it seems like they knew. Muppets.

Nick74

Interesting that they're going for the "not a crime" angle.

Ferguson's actions weren't criminal, but he had to go. Calderwood's actions weren't criminal, but she had to go. The "was this criminal" question sets a completely different benchmark for Cummings.

fat jez

Blackford doesn't even need to get out of bed for this one.

I'm booking in for Wednesday.

The cinema's might be shut, but I've got plenty of popcorn.

Even if Rees-Mogg could get the benches back behind Johnson, I'm not sure they'd come.

This isn't Wayne's World.
Parliament is on two weeks leave, don't make the popcorn for Wednesday. :)

krish

Distinguished Member
So many people have resisted powerful urges to visit elderly parents and other loved ones. They did so out of consideration, not only for relatives but anyone else they might come into contact with.
That particularly gets me, since he and I are of the same age and have sometimes been out of my mind with worry, like so many others, regarding our elderly parents and when we'll see them again. Really got to me because of my dad's various health issues, no potential comorbidities but he does have these funny turns physically and isn't as alert as he used to be, with suspected TIAs, and I can't travel the 90ish miles to them every few weeks to help out around the house and garden and do their big shopping or just hug and kiss them, because I don't want to put them at serious risk.

Sammyez

The Telegraph comments throws a doubt on who was spoken to by the Police. I suspect this will lead to further investigation. Despite this the optics of Cummings decision doesn’t look good. Nor does if it transpires that No10 have know about this for sometime?

‘No 10 denied Mr Cummings or his family were spoken to the police about the matter, after police confirmed they did attended a property in County Durham but did not name who they spoke to’

"At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported. His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally“

Coronavirus latest news: No 10 defends Dominic Cummings over breaking lockdown rules

GarryF

All of them? That's a bold and sweeping assertion.
Sorry you’re right, I didn’t include the lib dems and nationalists

I’m also not factoring in the amount of hatred this government gets over Brexit so chuck in all the remoaners too

Everyone has prior bias, it’s frustrating when some here try to hide/deny that with the pretence of neutrality, but eventually the mask slips 😉

Again for the record I voted remain and at the GE i voted tory, the alternative being a labour government borrowing more than anyone previously in history leading to decades paying it off whilst nationalising most industry. 6 months on look where we are 😄

richp007

Distinguished Member
That particularly gets me, since he and I are of the same age and have sometimes been out of my mind with worry, like so many others, regarding our elderly parents and when we'll see them again. Really got to me because of my dad's various health issues, no potential comorbidities but he does have these funny turns physically and isn't as alert as he used to be, with suspected TIAs, and I can't travel the 90ish miles to them every few weeks to help out around the house and garden and do their big shopping or just hug and kiss them, because I don't want to put them at serious risk.
I share the same sentiment, albeit in a different scenario. (Although me and my old man don't do hugs :) )

That's why he has to go.

No-one is above the law, and we're all in this together.

Otherwise we're not, and this just confirms that.

Which makes for difficult times ahead.

Nick74

Contrast this with a third party site that shows current UK trends. I am assuming this is accurate, but I have no evidence to back this. People may draw their own conclusions or look into other non-twitter sites that show trends.

Screengrab taken at approx 11:39am today.

View attachment 1304513
I'm not saying nothing happened. I'm simply not stating a conclusion ahead of the evidence. As I say, it is odd and worthy of comment.

Efforts to keep a lid on this story didn't work very well.

GarryF

It’s like feeding time at the Zoo today:)

Basically did the same as Calderwood so what’s good for the goose... he needs to go

sounds like this story has been known for some time, wonder why they printed now?

Nick74

Sorry you’re right, I didn’t include the lib dems and nationalists

I’m also not factoring in the amount of hatred this government gets over Brexit so chuck in all the remoaners too

Everyone has prior bias, it’s frustrating when some here try to hide/deny that with the pretence of neutrality, but eventually the mask slips 😉

Again for the record I voted remain and at the GE i voted tory, the alternative being a labour government borrowing more than anyone previously in history leading to decades paying it off whilst nationalising most industry. 6 months on look where we are 😄
Garry, nobody's objective. We all bring perspectives to every discussion. Perfect objectivity is impossible, even among those who strive for it.

As I've argued, if we discounted every comment that lacked objectivity we'd be unable to discuss anything. I've also suggested that we should be grateful this isn't an echo chamber - that we're at least encountering perspectives that challenge our own.

Branding everyone you disagree with in dismissive terms doesn't help. It only degrades the conversation.

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded
  • By Andy Bassett