Coronavirus: Cat owners fear pets will make them sick

D

Deleted member 765458

"
Cat owners fear they will catch coronavirus from their pets with some asking for them to be rehomed, an animal charity has said.

Iris's Cats In Need in Stoke-on-Trent has received several calls from owners worrying their pets will make them sick.

The World Health Organization said there is no evidence that pets can be infected by Covid-19.

Volunteer Claire Jones said: "You cannot catch this from a cat."

The 42-year-old said the charity has had several calls about rehoming cats, "Mostly, it's people who haven't got access to the right information online.

"It's a nightmare." "

I am a cat owner and I do not fear I will catch the coronavirus. Some people will believe anything.
The stuff I get on my FB feed from the Americans is really unbelievable except lots of them do believe it seems.

Last edited:
ADVICE

Wash your hands and refrain from eating your cats :lesson:
Have you tried washing a cat? ;)

I asked a local female cat owner if she is regualy washing her pussie during coronavirus stay at home. She slapped my face :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
All sounds like a good reason to get rid of the cats and get a dog - much better ;)

My 2 cats are both indoor ones,it's really been great to have them around in my isolation.

Fact in the 1685 outbreak of the plague in London,people thought the same,and put Thousands of cats & Dogs to death,only to be overrun by rats,that were the main cause of the plague.(The flea on the rats)

:(

A few cats and dogs were handed into my wife's work over the past few days. All coming from stupid nonsense on social media. The vets are already under pressure having to shut branches and go down to 1 branch in the area and lay off 80% of the staff and now they have to deal with people just handed over their pet. fudgeing idiots!

Ok, so I've got a cat who has always been an outdoor cat. However, I am no longer allowing her out. This is not because I believe that she'll catch the virus and pass it on to me, even though there have been a couple of cases where cats HAVE tested pos for COVID19. The reason I'm not letting her out is because, as with @MrFraggle post #9, she roams freely into many local people's homes, I don't know quite how many homes she visits, but to date I know of at least 6. A couple of times she's come home smelling of perfume, so I'm aware that she allows herself to be petted. It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that someone with the virus could inadvertantly transmit it onto her coat, either by coughing into their hand, not washing and then stroking or kissing my cat and her then bringing the virus back to my home. Am I supposed to stop petting, stroking and playing with my cat???

You can call me paranoid, but allowing my cat to wander outside visiting other homes seems akin to me knocking on random neighbours' doors and asking to rub my face on their kitchen towels and furniture.

However small the risk, I'm not willing to take it.

Ok, so I've got a cat who has always been an outdoor cat. However, I am no longer allowing her out. This is not because I believe that she'll catch the virus and pass it on to me, even though there have been a couple of cases where cats HAVE tested pos for COVID19. The reason I'm not letting her out is because, as with @MrFraggle post #9, she roams freely into many local people's homes, I don't know quite how many homes she visits, but to date I know of at least 6. A couple of times she's come home smelling of perfume, so I'm aware that she allows herself to be petted. It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that someone with the virus could inadvertantly transmit it onto her coat, either by coughing into their hand, not washing and then stroking or kissing my cat and her then bringing the virus back to my home. Am I supposed to stop petting, stroking and playing with my cat???

You can call me paranoid, but allowing my cat to wander outside visiting other homes seems akin to me knocking on random neighbours' doors and asking to rub my face on their kitchen towels and furniture.

However small the risk, I'm not willing to take it.
My cat does not actually go into anyone's home but a neighbours cat does come into my as and when he pleases. I have no concerns whatsoever for one thing he hates to be touched which is a great shame and something I am trying to change.
I could not nor would I want to stop my Millie coming and going as she pleases neither do I wish to stop Buttons visiting as I think he has had a hard life and I would love it if I could teach him how good it is to be stroked.
The risks are infinitesimal that they would have and pass on the virus so much so I restate I have no concerns.

Cats can catch it, but the research done so far has determined that it isn't as severe for cats and that they don't spread it to humans, This isn't just domestic cats either. Tigers in the Bronx zoo have it after a zoo keeper there gave them it. The tigers are fine though and were displaying very mild symptoms.

There have been isolated instances of pets testing positive for the coronavirus elsewhere in the world, but experts have stressed there is no evidence they can become sick or spread the disease.

Last edited:
What do we know about animals and the virus?

This coronavirus was first detected in humans in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.

The coronavirus (called Sars-CoV-2, which causes the disease Covid-19) is thought to have originated in wildlife and been passed to humans via a live animal market in Wuhan.

The pandemic has been driven by human-to-human transmission, but the infection of Nadia raises new questions about human-to-animal transmission.

There have been less than a handful of isolated reports of companion animals testing positive for coronavirus, including two dogs in Hong Kong.

There is "no evidence that any person has been infected with Covid-19 in the US by animals, including by pet dogs or cats," the zoo's statement noted.

That is also the view of the World Organisation for Animal Health and the World Health Organization (WHO), which says there is no evidence that pet dogs or cats can pass on the coronavirus.

The World Organisation for Animal Health says studies are under way to understand the issue more. and urges anyone who has become sick to limit contact with pets.

Dr Sarah Caddy, Veterinarian and Clinical Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge, is among experts to respond to the reports.

"It is surprising that the tiger has become infected with what must have been a fairly low dose of virus - we can assume the tiger did not have continual close contact with the asymptomatic zoo keeper," she said about the transmission.

"It is also interesting that the tiger showed clinical signs consistent with Covid-19 in humans. Although scientific proof is lacking, the chance this is just a coincidence is low."

Conservation experts have warned that the virus could pose a threat to some wildlife like the great apes - and have said measures are needed to reduce the risk of wild gorillas, chimps and orangutans.

Last edited:
Thats Millie sorted.
cute-cat-wear-mask-new-picture-my-own-milk-wears-169856344.jpg

The problem is,

how do you teach a cat to wash its paws while singing happy birthday?

We've a major problem to resolve.

Last edited:
Whats this happy birthday malarkey?

What utter nonsense.

Are people that thick that they will believe anything they see posted by Karen on Facebook.
Yes, you are absolutely correct.

It's a good job that the virus cannot be spread from mouth to hand, hand to surfaces, surfaces to hand, hand to mouth or eyes (I really don't know why the government is telling everybody to keep washing their hands).

It's a good job that the virus cannot remain infectious on various surfaces for extended periods of time (pet fur approx 4 hours, cardboard 24 hours and shiny surfaces up to 3 days).

It's a good job that the virus is easily spotted with the naked eye (0.125 micron =125 nanometers in diameter), (that makes it easy to avoid).

It's a good job that outdoor cats don't roam (My own has at least 6 neighbours she visits, I know this because I put my phone no and message to call me if she turned up at somebody's home in a dangly capsule on her collar, I got 6 replies).

It's a good job that the "professionals" know absolutely all there is to know about this new virus and that they have no need to review advice given on a weekly basis.

It's a great shame I don't have Facebook nor do I know Karen.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

It's a good job that the virus cannot be spread from mouth to hand, hand to surfaces, surfaces to hand, hand to mouth or eyes (I really don't know why the government is telling everybody to keep washing their hands).

It's a good job that the virus cannot remain infectious on various surfaces for extended periods of time (pet fur approx 4 hours, cardboard 24 hours and shiny surfaces up to 3 days).

It's a good job that the virus is easily spotted with the naked eye (0.125 micron =125 nanometers in diameter), (that makes it easy to avoid).

It's a good job that outdoor cats don't roam (My own has at least 6 neighbours she visits, I know this because I put my phone no and message to call me if she turned up at somebody's home in a dangly capsule on her collar, I got 6 replies).

It's a good job that the "professionals" know absolutely all there is to know about this new virus and that they have no need to review advice given on a weekly basis.

It's a great shame I don't have Facebook nor do I know Karen.

Seriously? :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom