Coronavirus: Cat owners fear pets will make them sick

I think the concept behind washing your hands is one born of the fact that we use our hands to touch all the other surfaces the virus can be present on? I'm pretty sure people aren't going about their day licking one anothers eyeballs or wiping their faces on the doorknob?

If you use you hands to handle or touch surfaces that have the virus present then the virus could convey from that surface to your hands. If you then touch your face, pick your nose or wipe your eyes then the virus can infect you off of your hands. You also run the risk of conveying the virus from yourself to sme=one else you toucch if the virus remains on your hands.

Don't be an idiot, simply wash your hands! It isn't as though no one has had it explained to them why so there's no excuse or reason not to.

I suppose one analogy is the bowl of peanuts on the bar.and the urine found on those peanuts due to those dipping into them not wasj=hing their hamds.

Last edited:
There's not as yet been any instances of pets dieing or being severely effected by the virus even in the few instances where pets have displayed symptoms or been tested positive.

There's not really the research to make a definitive statement as to what risks pets actually do run of being harmed by the virus though.

Try look after yourself and you'll hopefully also look after them?

No one would expect you to get rid of them and the government have made no indication of ever asking you to.

Worrying yourself silly about something that is never probably ever going to happen doesn't help them or you. Just concentrate on keeping yourself well and you are then in turn doing all that you can for their welfare.

My two cats are indoor, I am more worried about giving to them, I live by myself so if I do catch it I have to continue to take care of them and dread to find myself with a beloved pet struggling to breath an not being able to do anything for them.

You can take them to the Vets if they become ill. Vets are still open as they provide a Key Service. Just might be your local branch isn't open but there will be a Vet Hospital near by.

This is the problem with threads like this.

You've now got someone needlessly worrying about their pets because of this.

Nope I was all ready worried about this from the start. And when I say worried, I don't mean sitting on edge, nail biting, but just something to bear in mind if I get sick.

Well, well, well... A report from the British Veterinary Association reported earlier today...

Please take note of the final sentence- "Relating the information back to cats, the British Veterinary Association draws attention to how an animal’s fur could carry the virus for a time "if a pet were to have come into contact with someone who was sick". Thus the advice to keep pets indoors for the foreseeable future."

How does one keep a cat indoors? Luckily mine are indoor cats but I can't imagine it going well for any owner trying to keep a cat who is used to going out in all the time.
It's been difficult. It breaks my heart just as much as it's upsetting my cat, I'm well aware of the stress and torment she is feeling by having to use a litter tray, not being able to roam/visit her "other homes/keepers", she certainly is missing out on catching her night time mouse snacks and now she's separated by a window from her Queendom, she has to watch as the birds and squirrels take over.
All I can do is devote as much time as I can to distract her, she chases a fish on a stick and gets a good long sprint hunting and chasing the dot from my laser. She knows it's me controlling it, as she comes to me to demand play time. The rest of the time she sleeps. It's been 2 weeks and she's very slowly getting less stressed by being locked in.

Well, well, well... A report from the British Veterinary Association reported earlier today...

Please take note of the final sentence- "Relating the information back to cats, the British Veterinary Association draws attention to how an animal’s fur could carry the virus for a time "if a pet were to have come into contact with someone who was sick". Thus the advice to keep pets indoors for the foreseeable future."

Right, so these parts are just to be ignored from your link?

Dr Angel Almendros, from City University in Hong Kong, told BBC News: "There isn't a single case of a pet dog or cat infecting a human with COVID-19.”

"As in the previous Sars-Cov outbreak in Hong Kong, in 2003, where a number of pets were infected but never became sick, there is no evidence that dogs or cats could become sick or infect people."

All I can do is devote as much time as I can to distract her, she chases a fish on a stick and gets a good long sprint hunting and chasing the dot from my laser. She knows it's me controlling it, as she comes to me to demand play time. The rest of the time she sleeps. It's been 2 weeks and she's very slowly getting less stressed by being locked in.
Sounds a lot like an indoor cat. That aren't used to me being home during the day and I seem to be upsetting their natural routine. While I try to work I seem to be in a contestant battle of wits with my male who just wants my office chair and will find many way to bait me to get up from it.

Lazer pointer is a good friend as soon as they get too rowdy I use it to distract them.

We have no chance keeping Charlie indoors I'm afraid as he goes into one when we don't let him go out due to shite weather . I mean really goes into one , impossible now the good weather is here and our Conservatory doors are open all day . He is an outdoor cat during the day and loves it , we keep him inside at night though.

Obviously if we contract it he will have to go into isolation with us.

Right, so these parts are just to be ignored from your link?
Yes, because...
1- cats HAVE become sick, including the Tiger and Lions in NY zoo.
2- your quote "Dr Angel Almendros, from City University in Hong Kong, told BBC News: "There isn't a single case of a pet dog or cat infecting a human with COVID-19.”

is seemingly selectively missing the second paragraph which yet again reiterates that the virus can remain a source of infection on fur...

"To prevent any risk of pets carrying the virus from owners’ hands in their fur, British Veterinary Association (BVA), president Daniella Dos Santos encouraged owners to take "sensible precautions".

3- I'm not willing to put myself, my cat or my neighbours, whom she visits, in danger of picking up the virus from her fur just because at 2 months into the history of this BRAND NEW virus, there have been no reports of such transmission YET.

So the point you are making is as relevant to teddy bears as it is to domestic cats. It would be as releven to the packet of corn flakes you purchased from a supermarket. Are you suggesting people cease buying food from supermarkets?

I think the matter in hand relates to whether cats can catch the virus and then convey it to humans? The research done so far suggests that yes, cats can catch the virus, but no, they are not then passing it on to humans. There's also no evidence to suggest that doestic pets are at any risk of dieing if they do catch the virus.

Until the World Heath Authority or the UK government start posting warnings about having pets or humans having contact with them then there is no issue associated with having domstic cats or dogs relative to covid-19.

What is it you are trying to do exactly, create a false sense of fear during a crisis?

Yes, because...
2- your quote "Dr Angel Almendros, from City University in Hong Kong, told BBC News: "There isn't a single case of a pet dog or cat infecting a human with COVID-19.”

is seemingly selectively missing the second paragraph which yet again reiterates that the virus can remain a source of infection on fur...

"To prevent any risk of pets carrying the virus from owners’ hands in their fur, British Veterinary Association (BVA), president Daniella Dos Santos encouraged owners to take "sensible precautions".

3- I'm not willing to put myself, my cat or my neighbours, whom she visits, in danger of picking up the virus from her fur just because at 2 months into the history of this BRAND NEW virus, there have been no reports of such transmission YET.

Cats have contracted C19 but ( needs to be said here ) have not become sick . We need to make that distinction on this thread from worried cat owners believing they will lose their pets . The issue here is with ones pet contracting C19 and passing on to owners , and or visa versa.

If there were any evidence that domestic pets were spreading the virus then governments would have already started rounding up such pets and disposing of them. Are people saying that the authorities in coutries such as China aren't able to do this or unwilling to even consider it?

It cats were a risk then countries like China would already be eradicating them.

This isn't happening so no, cats are not at risk of either conveying the virus to humans or dieing from the virus.

Yes, because...

I'll just leave this here:

The distinction seems to be the difference between contracting it and getting contaminated with it.

Sp the point you are making is as relevant to teddy bears as it is to domestic cats.

I think the matter in hand relates to whether cats can catch the virus and then convey it to humans? The research done so far suggests that yes, cats can catch the virus, but no, they are not then passing it n to humans. There's also no evidence to suggest that doestic pets are at any risk of dieing if they do catch the virus.

Intil the World Heath Authority or the UK government start posting warnings about having pets or humans having contact with them then there is no issue associated with having domstic cats or dogs relative covid-19.

What is it you are trying to do exactly, create a false sense of fear during a crisis?
Not at all.
I agree with you that the argument I am proffering is as valid for a teddy bear as a cat. That was indeed my very first point (I made the analogy of kitchen towels), the only thing is, teddy bears tend not to wander into random neighbours' houses, get played with, picked up and kissed, as stated in my posts, my cat does, hence my difficult decision to keep her from wandering.

I have not at any time suggested that humans can catch the virus from a cat's spittle, nor that cats will die, why are you conflating these arguments to my posts?

I really don't know why there seems to be so much opposition to the points I've made, which have since been backed up by The British Veterinary Association.

I also suggested the same of you groceries. They can carry the virus on their packaging. Why is your shopping less likely to give you vovod-19 than your cat? I'd suggest that you've actually greater risk of contracting it from your shopping than a cat.

Again, what is it you are attempting to do, create false hysteria or just upset cat owners?

I also suggested the same of you groceries. THey can carry the virus on their packaging. Why is your shopping less likely to give you vovod-19 than your cat? I'd suggest that you've actually greater tisk of contracting it from your shopping than a cat.

Again, what is it you are attempting to do, create false hysteria or just upset cat owners?
Once again, YES, the virus can remain alive on many, many surfaces, including cat fur. I'm not attempting to do anything of the sort and I resent you suggesting that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom