1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corner speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by spock, Mar 18, 2002.

1. spock

spock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, Ive got an unusual speaker set up which may be interesting/helpful or an object of derision to others.
    Canon ( of camera and printer fame ) for a time made some pretty decent speakers about 15"x10" specially designed to fit into a room corner. Pic attached. I used them in the four corners together with L&R main and centre speakers in a pro-logic sound cinema.
    ( Remember that? By the way I've still got the Yamaha 970 AV amp if anyone wants it )
    Now with a Denon AVC SE A1 7.1 set up, the front Canons have now been moved to the middle of the back wall where they fire down and away from each other. This seems to work very well whether it is 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1.
    I'm less sure about the pair that are still in the top corners of the rear wall, and guess that the soundstage would be more enclosing if new speakers were placed in the classical position on the side walls.
    I'd be interested -
    1 to know what others think ( the room is only 13' square )
    2 to know of any offers on good di-poles
    3 if 1 & 2 go ahead to sell one pair of Canons
    Cheers John jfr@ntlworld.com

Attached Files:

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have a pair of the cannons [v100 i think!] i loathe to let them go as they blend into room so well.
    I was thinking of changing these as well but i doubt i will find 3 identical speakers for surround that will look as good. How do you rate them in a 6.1 set up and you wouldnt have any idea where i could get a similar [ frequency response , 4 ohm ] speaker to fill the rear centre spot.
    My room is 13ft as well, a bit small for a 43" rear pro 2 front floorstanders a big centre, 2 cannons and a rel .

3. spock

spock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin, sorry to be slow in coming back to you. I agree completely with your comment about how well these speakers blend into the room. This isn't vital for me as my little cinema is in a cellar. My centre rear channels are either side of the projector (ELLIE 3000) - shown in attached picture. I'm very happy with these and can't suggest an alternative for you, but I doubt that a precise match is critical. However I may part with the other pair, (one of which you can see mounted in the rear right corner)which would provide you with an extra pair. As I said, I'm considering swopping them for a pair of di-poles mounted on the side walls,but I'm not convinced it's worth the trouble. I'm sure I wouldn't do it if I was going to spoil a lived-in room.
    The front and centre speakers are KEFs as shown in the other picture. A screen certainly takes up a lot less room in a small room than a big "box" By the way, the black frameworks around the screen are sliding shutters for different formats -it's 4/3 in the picture. Hope this helps. John

4. spock

spock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't realise that it would only take one attachment at a time, so here is pic of Ellie and the centre channels behind her. John

5. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I called in richer sounds at the weekend, they had a pair of MS Dipole speakers which looked good quality and were only £100. I dont know how these rate [sound wise] but i have owned this brand before and found them great, they were very solid full range little speakers with quality binding posts and looked easy to install. Hope this helps.

6. spock

spock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin will look at MS speakers. Was thinking of KEFs to go with the KEF104 main speakers. V100s used as centre rear are two channels back to back as close together as you want, or current fashion dictates. John