Question Corner Situated Sony A8 Sound Quailty

johnr2110

I intend to upgrade my current 55inch Panasonic OLED to a 65inch model. Due to room design & furniture place the TV goes in the corner,
I have read elsewhere that the sound quality is sub standard if not viewed head on. Perhaps someone who already has an acoustic screen Sony preferably in the corner like mine can give me an answer.
Just to my viewing distance is around 9ft my partners 12ft. Plus I'm hard of hearing.

EasterEEL1

Yes there is a difference, it's ok but not optimal. I have a 65" AF9 and can hear the difference depending which seat I sit on. Typically sitting head on is not really an option for me as I have a two two-seater sofa's both to each side.

Despite all the plaudits for the acoustic screen I reckon my mates 65" E9 LG sounds better at higher volume (the Sony treble gets a bit harsh).

The benefit is sound does seem to be coming from the screen and sometimes from where on the screen it is.

johnr2110

Yes there is a difference, it's ok but not optimal. I have a 65" AF9 and can hear the difference depending which seat I sit on. Typically sitting head on is not really an option for me as I have a two two-seater sofa's both to each side.

Despite all the plaudits for the acoustic screen I reckon my mates 65" E9 LG sounds better at higher volume (the Sony treble gets a bit harsh).

The benefit is sound does seem to be coming from the screen and sometimes from where on the screen it is.
Thanks for the response, the your comment about the harsh treble on your AF9 is off putting. Wonder if the problems still there on the A8?

EasterEEL1

I wouldn't describe it as a problem more of a limitation of the technology.

My living room is quite large and for feature films I like to have the volume up. I use it as a centre speaker in a 6:1:1 system for convenience but it is not a patch on the MA Centre speaker esp at higher volumes.

The AF9 does not have an output option to add a sub, and I believe the A8 is the same. Also the TV centre speaker latency is very high (due to electronics protecting it from being overdriven) and any AV Amp has to adj for that. My Yamaha can cope but complains it is out of phase.

In summary if you are intending to only use the built in speakers at normal volumes it will probably be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom