1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corner AV stand

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Clabs, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi folks - not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I couldn't find anywhere else.

My new screen (42") will sit in the corner of my room (there is nowhere else for it to go. I have been searching high and low for a reasonable quality (and priced) corner unit. All I have managed to find are some very fancy glass units (I live in the real world of small children and sticky fingers so not an option) or some very chaep and nasty units a la argos.

It needs to be able to house 6 av units and also needs some sort of smoked glass doors to hide the kids ps2/xbox/cube controllers yet still allow the remotes to work with the doors shut.

I had considered some of the tv benches from ikea but as they will sit accross the corner, will stick out too far.

Has anyone here been there and done it or will I need to be looking at having some sort of thing custom made??

Thanks, Mark

2. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Not a huge choice of A/V units but absolutely superb quality if you can find something suitable. The corner unit is lovely but I doubt that it would hold 6 A/V units.
    Mahogany, Eucalyptus or Yew (Note that there more choice of Mahogany or Yew Finish A/V units)
    Last time I dealt with this company they were happy to make minor amendments to their designs as specials to accomodate my own equipment. I took the back off the corner unit I bought from them as my satellite receiver at the time was too deep to fit. Phone them with any queries.

Choose your finish, then selct "Home Entertainment"

Strongbow furniture

3. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll be surprised if you find anything like what you need, I looked long and hard and in the end got one made.

I got a local pine shop to take a double door'd wardrobe top box carcass of circa 1.2m wide (it's a separate box you can buy to fit on top of a standard height wardrobe to give you an extra storage cupboard on top) and got them to add a surround / up stand to the bottom to make it more unit like.

It's the only way I could find a unit that would accommodate my Tosh 36" TV on top and Denon 3802 (depth of the amp a problem with all other enclosed units) as well as Tivo, NTL box, CD player and DVD player. I got solid doors in the end so it can all be hidden away, but they did offer to leave the centre panel out on the doors and use glass in lieu, it cost me £250.00 which is bloody cheap compared to some of these glass and steel units.

Did what I wanted, but depends upon the style you are after.

Did not use this company but pic of top box to show you what I mean:

http://www.furnitureshowhouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

4. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried Ikea?

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Same here when I had my gear in the corner.
    I looked everywhere but couldn't find a corner unit that would hold 6 boxes with a TV on top.
    Even IKEA had nothing that was totally suitable!
    Made my own in the end - cost me about £80 in parts (MDF, chrome tube, paint) and looked great.
    It's sat in the garage now as it's no longer required so that was a waste of time...:rolleyes:

6. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well - had pretty much given up and was chatting to a builder friend yesterday about sourcing reasonable quality veneered mdf. He mentioned that his best mate is a cabinet maker and that he would sort it out for me if I came up with a drawing for what I wanted. Result or what.

Sooo - yesterday, I wandered down to a couple of retail parks with my tape measure to try to get some inspiration for my design. The first shop I went into was Harveys. Low and behold, they now have something exactly what I am after - good quality and nice beech finish. Should easily hold 6 boxes plus room for controllers etc. Reasonably priced at £350.

The bad news?? It's on 10 week delivery so wouldn't get it till the end of January. Can't decide whether to take the cabinet maker to the shop and show him the unit or just order it from Harveys and put up with the wait.

Thanks for all your replies, by the way.

Mark