Corked or Screwed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by acid007, Nov 26, 2010.

1. acid007

acid007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Do your prefer your wine to have a screw top or be corked.?

I have noticed over the years that screw tops are in the ascendancy!. I would say that i have noticed some kind of class divide with corked dominating the "premium" wines category. Is my supposition wrong?, is there a reason why screwed caps are taking over?, is it purely down to economics and/or consumer demand?.

Sitting here sipping on my Siglo gran reserve Rioja, it just got me thinking...

Sid

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,539
    Certain wine buffs here might say it matters but as far as research state a good wine can be screwed or corked..

3. guest5234

guest5234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    No difference to the taste red or white whatsoever.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to be a traditionalist but I can't taste the difference so couldn't care how it comes nowadays

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I bought a fancy 'Alesi' corkscrew and a foil cutter a few years ago, but find I rarely need them thesedays. Like Ian J says though, so long as it tastes OK then that's all that bothers me.

6. bigtruck

bigtruck
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    As above, no difference as far as I'm concerned.

7. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    It used to be cheap rubbish that was in screw tops, but I believe that was due to what was put in rather than any effect of having a cork or not.

Nowadays I buy more with screwtop than cork, as there seem to be more good quality wines generally available anyway.

In fact, I've never had a bottle of wine with a screwtop that has had the taste affected by the top, whereas I have had a couple of bottles with corks where the wine has been tainted by becoming 'corked'

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    A combination of what Ian J and Orson has said ^

9. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    technically screw tops are better than cork (did you know about 90% of cork comes from portugal?), as cork can dry out and let air into the wine, and thus you have the problem called "corkage". that's why bottles of wine are supposed to be kept on their side, so the cork stays wet and doesn't dry out. with modern "drink now" wines, most corkage is probably due to bottling problems than drying out

the reason companies still use cork, apart from having bottling plants setup already to use cork, is because consumers typically think that better quality wines should have a cork, and there is a psychological connection with pulling a cork that you don't get with a screw top

i'm pretty sure a lot of times people talk about corkage is the consumer not liking the wine or letting it breathe. some red wine can taste crappy if you don't let it breathe properly

10. spudtator

spudtator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I think a lot of people nowadays are starting to prefer screw-tops from the recyclable point of view and as has been said, the snobbery factor is dying out. People are a lot more knowledgeable and realise you can get a very nice bottle of wine for not much money.
    From the other point of view, the cork growers/providers will be taking quite a major hit.

Personally I'd buy screw-top and only cork on the very rare occasion I know what I'm wanting and it's in a corked bottle.

11. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    ha bring it on anyway it comes as long as it does the job ;)

12. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,915
    It was once explained on a wine program that when all factors were considered, screwed top packaging was significantly cheaper than corked.

This meant the same wine could be sold at a lower cost or a higher quality wine could be bottled at the same cost. If you follow?

No idea if this is true. Anything over £3.99 is quality to my palate.

13. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    I agree with all the above about it not affecting the drinkability.

I wonder if the 'premium wine' impression is that they tend to be older, back into the days when corks were more popular. I've just looked at my wine store, and they are all screw tops, though mind you, none of them cost more than about £8 a bottle, and most more like £5.

Anyway, I can't remember when I last had a bottle of wine with a real cork 'cork' (except fizz). They all have this plasticky stuff now, which can be a bu**er to get out sometimes. Perhaps what happened is that the supply of cork gave out; they shifted to plastic; discovered it wasn't satisfactory; moved more and more to screw tops; and now find that screw tops are best anyway!

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My guess is that synthetic corks are much cheaper to produce than real corks and probably more reliable too.

15. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,532
    I certainly prefer Screw tops to the fake plasticy corks I've seen used. We have a seasonal wine plan and I do spot that screw tops are becoming more prominent amongst the bottles. However, the more expensive wines still have corks. I still like to open a bottle with a corkscrew now and again, but I don't think there is a difference to the wine it self, not to my palate anyway.

16. acid007

acid007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I knew the majority of worlds resources came from either Spain & Portugal. Are stocks dwindling?, after all it is a finite resource!.

Completely agree with the regards to the "psychological connection", i'm sure subliminally it influences most consumers. Champagne...

I'll have to admit, i rarely let my wine aerate properly. What i do with red wine is to put my glass into the microwave for about 10 seconds. It works for me, i find it improves the flavor than drinking it straight out of the bottle.

I'm certain i've seen or read this too, economics coming into play. The fact that screw tops were introduced at the bottom where the market isn't so fickle, slowly as consumer acceptance and adoption took hold it has moved onwards to the mid/premium range. I also believe as Unique pointed out that quality and consistency is also a contributing factor, when was the last time you had a screw top which was oxidised?..

That raises an interesting question, can you see Champagne etc having screw tops at some stage?, beyond the cognitive boundary is there any other reason why "fizz" can not be screw topped?. Thinking about it even the cheapest £1.99 fizz is still "corked", must be a sound reason for it?.

Sid

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  17. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211

glass in the microwave? :eek: i don't know if you mean with or without wine in it, either way :eek:

if you want to know how to aerate wine quickly, the cheats method is to pour out half a glass or so, then put the cork back in or screwtop etc back on to cover the bottle, then hold the top and shake vigourously for 15-30 seconds, or longer or less if you want, just make sure you hold the cork or top so you don't redecorate the room with red wine (white wine doesn't need this process, so don't shake it). what happens is the air will be forced throughout the wine in the bottle, and it speeds up the process without deteriorating the quality of the wine in any way. it just takes a few minutes for the bubbles to die down

if you don't want to try that method, then pour out a glass or two and leave it to breathe in the glass, as if you just open the bottle, only about 10% of the top of the wine will be able to breathe, so pouring out means more surface space on each glass, plus you will have the wine down to the wider part of the bottle to breathe better. it's partly for that reason that you have to pour some out of the bottle before shaking, you need a bit of space in the bottle to let the air in before shaking it. it's obviously safer to do with a screw top, but generally the wine that needs to breathe the most is stuff with a cork in it. the cheapo £5 stuff usually doesn't need to breathe much, it's just stuffed full of sugar and chemicals to give an instant flavour

champaign could have screw tops, but for psychological reasons, people want bubbly to start with a pop, which is why even the cheap crap has "corks", albeit made of plastic in many cases. with the cheapest ones i think the packaging must core more than what's inside. doesn't the small bottles of babycham even come with a plastic cork? the small bottles of moet do (330ml size)

18. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    It makes me laugh when people open a bottle and put it to one side in order "to let it breath". It really does nothing for the wine.
    Thats why red wine should be decantered so as to breath.

Like your trick of shaking the bottle. Not heard of than one before. Might give it a try tonight although SHMBO still instists on the open and leave method poor deluded soul. :laugh:

19. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
  20. acid007

acid007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Yep, thats correct :D. I normally fill the glass half full of "everyday" red wine and bung it in the microwave for only about 10 seconds, i find it really helps to improve the overall flavour. (try it, and report back!) Maybe its acting as a catalyst for aeration?, maybe i'm onto something big?, or maybe i'm just talking rubbish?, who knows. Any chemists in here. :rolleyes:

I'll try your novel shake & swig method. (later) :smashin:

Decantered, wine glass, shake n swig and err my microwave method are all different techniques to achieve the same objective... To let your wine breathe/aerate to assist in improving the flavour.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  21. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    First thing I look for with wine, I will buy a bottle of wine because it's got a screw top over a cork given a choice.

22. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I normally buy the bog standard spainish wine selection from Laithwaites and Virgin. The stuff from Laithwaites is corked and is normally far superior to the virign screw cap stuff. It could just be the difference between the two companies though.

I haven't come across much Rioja / French stuff in the supermarket that is screw cap.

23. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    At least it's a renewable resource.

I can't remember the last time I bought I bottle of wine! :(

If it tastes good then I'm unlikely to be bothered.

What about boxed wines? Many years ago when I lived and worked in South Africa, we used to get some cracking wines in boxes.

24. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,915
    No problem for me, I have had some good wines from the box. The light robust packaging is a key benefit.

Also, take the bag out and blow up the spout to make a good improvised pillow when roughing it at a gig.

25. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Ringpulls for my beer - wine is for girls :)

26. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    Corrected that.... ;) :D

27. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    beer is for lightweights, 5% rubbish. wine at 14.5% is for the grown ups :thumbsup:

28. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    ...providing you don't shake it up like pop. :)

29. Educated Guess

Educated Guess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Ahem...Beer

30. Boyanatom

Boyanatom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If it's going to be cork then make it a real cork. As others have said the plastic corks ruin the screw of the corkscrew. Screwtop's are fine for everyday. Cork is good if it's a quality bottle to lay down and improve over the years