Corel Video video capture with "copy protected" message

TechiMan

I decided to get a trial version of Corel Video in order to try out the video capture feature. Upon playing a rather bad tape I discovered that as soon as the tape jumped Corel displayed a "this tape is copy protected" message and stopped the recording. This is very annoying for someone who just wants to capture home videos. The same thing happens with the Arcsoft Showbiz program that I got with my USB capture device.

Is there any other way around this?. I have resorted to using Corel because I am getting tired of all the free programs either suddenly stop working when they were previously working (ie OBS Studio was able to capture from my VHS player until 2 days ago until yesterday I couldn't get a signal - and the recorder is working fine), and other programs such as AmarecTV and VirtualDub don't seem to work at all.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The joys of the old analogue Macro vision copy protection.

I've copied this description from the internet which explains the likely situation better than I could.

Analog Macrovision works by reducing the strength of the synch pulse (one marks the start of every video frame) and/or colorburst signals on the tape enough that playing them on a TV isn't a problem but it will trigger the copy protection schemes built into VCR's and other recording devices like capture cards.

Basically if the tapes colorburst, synch pulse or the signal level are degraded from age, wear or The Will Of The Video Gods it mimics the analog Macrovision protection scheme and the cards drivers can't tell the difference. When this happens it "goes back to mommie" and throws the Macrovision error.

TechiMan

The joys of the old analogue Macro vision copy protection.

I've copied this description from the internet which explains the likely situation better than I could.
This must be down to the software not the VHS recorder. So how do you get around this?. And why doesn't this happen with freeware programs I've used?. Do you know of another capture program that won't have this issue?.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
You said it was a bad quality tape and the copy protection kicked in when the tape jumped, it could be it'll be fine with better tapes, I presume the tapes themselves are none copy protected home recorded ones, degredation of the tape can cause the macrocision to activate in error.

It could very well happen with this particular tape whatever software you use, it could be the other software ignores macrocision although I did think that would be built in to your capture device so shouldn't be software dependant.

Back in the day you could get specific adapters that removed macrocision but I'm not sure if there's such a call for them now.

Jamie

Distinguished Member

TechiMan

You said it was a bad quality tape and the copy protection kicked in when the tape jumped, it could be it'll be fine with better tapes, I presume the tapes themselves are none copy protected home recorded ones, degredation of the tape can cause the macrocision to activate in error.

It could very well happen with this particular tape whatever software you use, it could be the other software ignores macrocision although I did think that would be built in to your capture device so shouldn't be software dependant.

Back in the day you could get specific adapters that removed macrocision but I'm not sure if there's such a call for them now.
I've used all kinds of capture programs, and the majority of them, except the purchased ones or programs that come with a device, have never had any issues with macrovision. So it can't down to the capture device itself but the software/program. Just a pity every capture program I seem to have on my computer either stops working or doesn't work, ie can't get a signal from the VHS recorder or other analogue device like a camcorder. I've even used VLC player in the past that I could capture video from, but for some reason it doesn't do it anymore, no idea why.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom