Core i3 with integrated graphics (Bitstreaming TrueHD/DTS-HD MA)

homethx

barnclos

Any sign of Intel i3 CPUs and h55/57 motherboards in the UK?
I live in Switzerland, and everything seems to become available here about a month after the UK.

Good luck with the snow - seems weird that there's more back home than over here.

sideysid

Overclockers has the Asus P7H55-M in stock.

Been waiting for a intergrated IGP motherboard that doesn't downsample HD audio for a couple of years now, my Elonex Artisan gutted case can be brought back down from the loft. :)

Would it be possible to pass the audio through say a HD4870 (I know I'm really not up to date on this side, sorry) or another audio card if say I purchased one of the H55/H57 M/B's and didn't use the onboard graphics?

I'm pretty sure it's not possible but hey I'm well behind on hardware from the looks of it.

Thanks.

barnclos

Would it be possible to pass the audio through say a HD4870 (I know I'm really not up to date on this side, sorry) or another audio card if say I purchased one of the H55/H57 M/B's and didn't use the onboard graphics?

Do you really mean audio? I have the HD4870 down as a graphics card.
If you're talking video, then there was something on the avsforum discussion of the Clarkdale processors which suggested that Windows 7 may be able to do multiple video out: AVS Forum - Core i7, i5 & i3 LGA1156 Processors Thread: Clarkdale Supports HD Audio Bitstreaming!.

Hope this helps, apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

andyUK101

If you have a motherboard that supports audio output in any flavour by HDMI/Analogue/Optical you can disable this and pass the audio through your ATi graphics card

If you have a 4*** series you can pass HD audio via LPCM (your comp does the decoding) If you have a 5*** series you can bitstream your HD audio (with some restriction, still in beta)

Youll find a lot of HTPC builders have mobo with integrated graphics and audio but use an ATi 4/5*** card for audio and video

scumball

Distinguished Member
For an HTPC the onboard video and audio of these mb's is all you'll need though. Hardware video acceleration and HD audio bitstreaming, seems like a good option...

Do you have to use the new CPU to get these advantages?

andyUK101

For an HTPC the onboard video and audio of these mb's is all you'll need though. Hardware video acceleration and HD audio bitstreaming, seems like a good option...

True,

Id actually be more interested if i could use the mobo to bitstream audio to my amp and a seperate graphics card (for gaming) for video to my

Would be really interested in upgrading if that is possible

sideysid

Yes, you'll need one of the Clarkdale i3 or i5 Intel processors with the intergrated GPU onboard.

the i3 starts at about £90 so that teamed with a simlarly priced H55 motherboard won't be too far off of a Asus Xonar HDAV alone, so would it be an excellent option for a new HTPC build with bitstreaming in mind.

barnclos

I take it all back about the Swiss being 1 month behind: the i3-530 (equivalent of £89) and the i3-540 (£103) are already here. Just waiting for mini-ITX motherboard now.

Do you really mean audio? I have the HD4870 down as a graphics card.
If you're talking video, then there was something on the avsforum discussion of the Clarkdale processors which suggested that Windows 7 may be able to do multiple video out: AVS Forum - Core i7, i5 & i3 LGA1156 Processors Thread: Clarkdale Supports HD Audio Bitstreaming!.

Hope this helps, apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Interesting, thanks.

If you have a motherboard that supports audio output in any flavour by HDMI/Analogue/Optical you can disable this and pass the audio through your ATi graphics card

If you have a 4*** series you can pass HD audio via LPCM (your comp does the decoding) If you have a 5*** series you can bitstream your HD audio (with some restriction, still in beta)

Youll find a lot of HTPC builders have mobo with integrated graphics and audio but use an ATi 4/5*** card for audio and video

Yeah, this is what I'm after basically, I'll be using the HD4870 as the HTPC GPU to game a bit, hence the reason for it, otherwise my HD4670 would be perfect, thus I was wondering if I could pass the H55/H57's audio through the HD4870's HDMI port or dongle.

BTW, how is this done please? Thanks.

sideysid

Yeah, this is what I'm after basically, I'll be using the HD4870 as the HTPC GPU to game a bit, hence the reason for it, otherwise my HD4670 would be perfect, thus I was wondering if I could pass the H55/H57's audio through the HD4870's HDMI port or dongle.

I would say that this would disrupt the PAP (protected audio path) which has been the main culprit of HTPC misery regarding HD audio.

hetain

I take it all back about the Swiss being 1 month behind: the i3-530 (equivalent of £89) and the i3-540 (£103) are already here. Just waiting for mini-ITX motherboard now.

me too... got my eye on the ZOTAC H55-ITX.

a bit more info here:

bit-tech.net | New ZOTAC H55-ITX WiFi combines Intel® Core™ i3, Core™ i5 or Core™ i7 processors with mini-ITX

H55-ITX WiFi

Just holding out to see if the bottom of the pile i3 530 can hack it in a proper HTPC machine (i need full HD Audio and 1080p 24fps support). A couple of people on some forums (AVS) have mentioned tearing issues on 24fps material. Still too early to know if this is widespread or just local issues.

Anyone on here built a HTPC with this chip yet?

Razor

Distinguished Member
A built in gpu in the cpu is a good idea but Intel have always been lagging behind ATI and Nvidia when it comes to video image quality. For this very reason I personally think its best to use a dedicated gpu from ATI on Nvidia be it onboard or stand alone. Also the intel gpu is terrible for gaming if anyone has any plans to do this. :)

andyp695

Standard Member
So has anybody got one of these chips and had a chance to test the internal graphics for video quality?

Best info I've been able to find is Test Intel Core i3-540 / H55 (Clarkdale), Qualité du traitement vidéo : HQV et HQV HD , where they compare the HQV resulsts with the nvidia 9300 and ATI 785g. In French though so only the numbers mean anything to me, but seems fairly promising.

No one seems to have tested if the chips can do correct 24p (i.e. 23.978fps) as this was the major achilles heal of the G45 graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series