Core i3 Processor laptops

Nash

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys basically looking for a laptop with a core i3 processor for £350-£420. I know deals are hard to come by but even refurbished(at a high standard) is ok with me.

Minimum 3GB Ram
Minimum 15.6" Screen

Annoying thing is i need it by next week too!

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I've got one of these (on the recommendation of this forum). Ended up being under £350 with quidco and a voucher code (£15 off at mo + cashback through quidco). Can't fault it for the spec. Other than not coming in an Acer box and (possibly) lacking paperwork, but I don't know, would know it was a refurb

Arrived from PC World in a few days (the weather may not be helpful this week)

ACER Aspire 5741 Refurbished Laptop at cheap prices | PC World

I couldn't find anything better a month ago :)

Is that only in store out of interest as they don't keep the refurbs there I believe :)

Just had another look, unfortunately the refurb is out of stock, but with the trade in, new is almost in budget

Last edited:
doh yes, think so. Still, would that cover the cost of buying new? (your link is showing out of stock at the mo)

They have an Acer 5742 for £374, which would be £304 with the trade-in - whats a P6100 CPU when its at home? It was so much simpler when they were all pentium with a speed after them

I don't think the 5742 is i3? But again don't quote me lol :D

That said the Acer site has about 20 variations of the 5742, so who knows :rolleyes:

doh yes, think so. Still, would that cover the cost of buying new? (your link is showing out of stock at the mo)

They have an Acer 5742 for £374, which would be £304 with the trade-in - whats a P6100 CPU when its at home? It was so much simpler when they were all pentium with a speed after them

The P6100 is a slower Core i3 without hyperthreading so a simple dual core cpu (2 threads).

- Simon.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Currys link not working, just shows home page. Your budget increased I see ;)

I had a Toshiba, worked fine, they have a good rep for build and reliability - looks a good spec. I'd choose that one I think

Been reading alot of your comments DC8900. Must say you are quite knowledgeable in this market!

Ok so this is the one you would recommend yes? Out of all of them? Good specification as well? £405.99

Toshiba Satellite C660-11K

Toshiba Satellite C660-11K 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Core i3-370M Processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

yes, that's one I would recommend, great specification, brilliant reliability and best of all, a really good price for what you're getting

HTH :smashin:

Just ordered it off Amazon :) should be here by next week! Wicked thankyou guys :). Someones going to be a very happy student!

Just ordered it off Amazon :) should be here by next week! Wicked thankyou guys :). Someones going to be a very happy student!

nice :smashin: and remember if ever need to help, you know where to find us avf members :smashin:

How does the Toshiba compare to the acer 5742 i3, 4gb please as that one seems to be going up in price weekly :)

Any clever peeps know if this is better or not than the acer 5742 please, trying to get one for my son

thanks

Buster

how about the packard bell easynote? £429 from PC World - i3 370M/4GB/320GB (seems the standard). £359 with trade-in

are packard bell generally reliable? Its PC World/Currys own brand isn't it

or that dell linked in the AV forums 'popular prices' at the top of the page? £419 for an i3/350M

I guess it looks like you can get one for around £400 +/- £25 and its just a case of which brand you prefer for reliability/looks etc

Last edited:
How does the Toshiba compare to the acer 5742 i3, 4gb please as that one seems to be going up in price weekly :)

Depends from where, as there are a few configs of those, there is this Amazon one: Acer Aspire 5742 15.6 inch Notebook ( Intel Core i3-370M, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD, Webcam, Wireless, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I would go for the Tosh purely for the better reliability and build

how about the packard bell easynote? £429 from PC World - i3 370M/4GB/320GB (seems the standard). £359 with trade-in

are packard bell generally reliable? Its PC World/Currys own brand isn't it

or that dell linked in the AV forums 'popular prices' at the top of the page? £419 for an i3/350M

I guess it looks like you can get one for around £400 +/- £25 and its just a case of which brand you prefer for reliability/looks etc

I'm not a fan of Packard Bell, I mean they have got better from the days of the horrible bloatware machines of the late 90s since they got taken over by Acer and now serve pretty much as the budget brand of Acer

All in all, I would go for the Tosh

i would say get the acer aspire 5740G as i have one and cant fault it and they are lovely looking machines, but mine is an i5 and my particular model cost over £600 :laugh:

this wont be of use, but share my model anyways ;)

intel core i5 430m 2.26ghz, 1066mhz fsb
ati mobility radeon hd 5470(upto 2234mb hypermemory)-(mine was already set to this)
15.6" hd led lcd
4gb memory
640gb hdd
blu-ray
acer nplify 802.11b/g/n
6-cell li-ion battery

dc8900, interesting you say you'd go for the Toshiba for better build. Had a look in PC world and the packard bells looked nice, but the Toshiba seemed very flimsy and plasticky.

dc8900, interesting you say you'd go for the Toshiba for better build. Had a look in PC world and the packard bells looked nice, but the Toshiba seemed very flimsy and plasticky.

still very reliable mind :thumbsup: even if they don't look the prettiest, I would rather go for the Tosh, overall, the best quality/build is ASUS, but I Toshiba for their ability to go on and on

but if you think the PB seems more robust, then fine go with it but if it were my money, I wouldn't go near it

I'd go for that Tosh, except no HDMI. I must have that ;o)

Any ideas please. Same price area... thanks.

I'd go for that Tosh, except no HDMI. I must have that ;o)

Any ideas please. Same price area... thanks.

Hi Ought,

I snapped with my old laptop last week and searched this forum for a suitable laptop. Ended up buying the ASUS machine that DC has plugged earlier in the thread. Am very very happy with it, doesn't come loaded with software so runs very smoothly. Comes with a HDMI port, and have been using this to watch the ashes on via a friends sky login. Works perfectly (after working out how to export the sound via HDMI).

So, works quickly, is sturdy, decent res screen, is quiet. Check out the specs for yourself as I don't know what you need but I'd give the ASUS a big thumbs up.

Thanks for the reply ;o)

Yes we are wondering about the Asus, largely for its reliability.

Mostly we want a laptop for Word, Powerpoint, and the Internet, but will also do a bit of PhotoShop, perhaps watch 1080p films on TV via HDMI, and just maybe try some minor video editing later on.

Would it be able to cope do you think? I am concerned by the builtin graphics card.

Cheers!

I saw the PB's in PC world as well. They looked quite nice design wise, but ive read bad things about them so i personally wouldnt.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom