Cordless phone rechargeable batteries

Chippychap

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, My limited knowledge of ni-cads says that you charge fully and then, in use, fully discharge so as not to give it adverse charge memory.
Yet, with cordless phones they spend most of their time on charge.
Is there a way of looking after the batteries so as to prolong their working lives?
Wondered if taking the handsets off the base until the batteries nearly run out then whack 'em back on the charger.
Any hints or tips? :lease:

We take the phones off the cradle once every two months or so and let them go completely flat, we have three of them and do two at a time so that we have a back up and then do the third.

We also only use the cheap rechargeable ones from a well known pound shop, but they last at least a year and I think this set has been in two up to now.

You could however attribute the longevity of these batteries to the fact that we use our mobiles 9/10 to make any phone calls!

So if I excercise the battery's like you do then I should get max life from 'em.
Thank you.

Most new equipment comes with NiMH nowadays and they don't suffer the "memory effect" like NiCads do. And most mobiles and some cordless come with Li-Ion which are better still.

They are not interchangeable though are they?
I have the option of a cheaper new set of phone or a second hand "Rolls Royce" set-up so not sure what the older one uses.
AFAIK the only thing that can deteriorate with these phones are the batteries, fingers crossed.
Thank you LV426

NiCad and NiMh are the same voltage, but require different charging electronics. So, they MAY be interchangeable if
a) they are the same size (eg standard AAA)
b) the charger circuitry in the system can cope with either (many, but NOT all, can).
You can only find out for sure by looking at specs/manual

Any kind of lithium chemistry and voltage is sufficiently different that interchangeability is almost certainly a "no".

The first thing I do after buying new phones is take the low capacity batteries out and replace them with high capacity rechargeables. I have not encountered any problems in the 10 years of using them. Nothing is everlasting but I hate the original batteries not keeping me in talk time for long enough - I guess I must talk too much.
Happy Christmas!

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas to you too Tonyc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom