1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless optical mouse, are they reliable?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Timh, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Do you own a Cordless optical mouse? if so, what do you think off them, I am fed up with cleaning the roller ball in mine and snagging the cord.
    Could you recommend one please.

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,891
    I've got two - they're so good I got one to take to work to replace the crappy Dell mouse with my work PC.

My work one is an MS Intellimouse Explorer Optical. It's quite chunky - but that works for me as I've got big hands. ;)

My home one is a Logitech something (can't remember model) with iFeel force feedback technology. (The force feedback is useless, but the mouse itself is very good as a mouse).

The only drawback I've found is that the don't cope well with being moved really fast - which can be a drawback sometimes when playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein online. :rolleyes:

However I've heard of a mouse called the "Boomslang Razer" (or something like that) which seems to be very highly rated by games players.

Reliability is 100% so far for both.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Squiffy

Thanks I will look into it a bit more, It has to be good enough for Medal of Honour.

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Squiffy, are they cordless opticals you have, or just opticals? Can't imagine force feedback on a cordless mouse....

Must say I love my corded optical (cheapest MS one - £15 or so).

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am another hamster fan, I currently use a Packard bell but have had 3 over the last 10 years

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I think I will go for a corded optical mouse, maybe the cheap MS one, I dont want to take a chance on cordless not being very good with games.

7. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,891
    Ah. Somehow I overlooked that bit of the question. :blush:

They're both corded.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,896
    I use a microsoft one at home and a logitech one at work. They are both very good mice but I use the microsoft one at home because of the better drivers. I play Red Alert 2, Renegade and Medal of honour with no probs with the MS mouse. I did have problems with the logitech drivers with some games so I now only use that one for work. I had some problems with the MS mouse (when running thru the USB port) with Westwood games - it would go all slow and unpredictable on me. I cured this by going into device manager and ticking the "don't tell me about usb errors" box in advanced for the usb host controller (in windows XP)
    Sorry to waffle on so much - but I thought you'd like to know possible problems and how to fix them.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,896
    One other point - they both get through batteries fairly quickly. Does anyone know if rechargables are ok ?

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't see why not. My digital camera eats AA's after about 50 shots. I got some Nimh ones with a charger from Halfords for about £15 and they last for ever. You can't get different A/hour ones so go for the longest lasting. Should be no problem. I'm gradually replacing all remote etc. batteries with rechargables as they die. Better for the environment too.

S

11. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I`ve got a Genius one.... mouse and keyboard they`re really good especially with HTPC.
    I also find batteries in the mouse dont last too long say 2 months and when they go they just go so keep your spare mouse handy