CORDLESS HEADPHONES- rubbish?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Adzam, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Adzam

Adzam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would try some cordless FM headphones for use with my TV but I have to say that I am disappointed with the outcome.

I bought a pair of Panasonics first but received mainly hiss & whistles accompanied by occasional TV signal. I took these back to the shop & swapped them for a less expensive Thomson pair. A clearer TV signal is audible but only at the expense of the same constant hiss making the whole experience seem like a Marconi radiogram experiment of the early 1900's.

Is this the best to be had with these cordless headphones? Has anyone else experienced the same result?

Regards,
    J

2. palantir pete

palantir pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    greetings

It sounds as if they are not tuned-in proper: Have you scanned right thro' the band, as sometimes the first frequency they lock onto is not the best.

Pete

3. Adzam

Adzam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks P. The Panasonics had 3 channels to choose from & a tuning dial but I could not get anything approaching a quality signal at all. The Thomsons have 3 channels too but no additional tuning dial.

Are cordless phones capable of giving a crystal clear sound or does the fact that they are cordless mean this can never be achieved?

Regards,
    J

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience, using Sony's TMR-RF850R cordless FM cans, you CAN achieve a near-faultless signal.

These particular phones can be used in one of two ways: plugged directly via RCA to RCA (red and white plugs) from transmitter base to source, or from RCA to 3.5mm source headphone jack. The former gives a surprisingly strong, clear signal; the latter can be very good, but you need the source volume up loud (there is a separate volume control on the phones), and you need to minimise nearby electrical or radiostatic interference.

At best, my Sony's have a pretty good sound (good enough for the £55 I paid for them), and when the signal is spot on, it's like the best FM radio station signal you can achieve with the average all-in-one, high street consumer brand radio tuner.

5. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  6. NedZeppelin

NedZeppelin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are those Pioneer '2000' headphones good for use with both hi-fi and TV?

7. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every once blue moon the talk of Wireless headphones pops up ;)

Check this on going thread here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194397

My thoughts are, ive had a panasonic/Technics cordless pair I got for 50 quid from the catalogue store(RP-wf920) and yeah they got a bit of a hiss to it which tends to go once the volume kicks in and only noticable when its quiet or paused.

Now ive tried a pair of Senns HD-595 (Cabeled) and left speechless the quality in music/tv is about 3-4x the amount and there only 100 quid but the wire! + fact there open cans made my life miserable so back they went.

These new cans like the Pioneers/Philips look good and say hiss free perfect digital audio but ive yet to hear of comparisions directly to say Senns HD-595/Audio Technics A900....

+ be warned those Pioneer DIR-1000c are open headphones which means everyone can hear what you hear... you need closed type for privacy!

Im tempted to go for these headphones actually:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...ic_RP-WH5000_Digital_Wireless_Headphones.html

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One good thing about cordless phones: no cables for your pets to get tangled in when they leap into your lap while you're quietly watching late night telly ... which also neatly avoids the cord-ripped-from-AV-kit-and-thus-waking-whole-household issue!

9. HighlandeR

HighlandeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You missed another, the one where u go to stand up and your foots stamped on the wire :eek: