Corbyn the republican

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27989

Yup he is a well known republican, however he seems fine to identify and show respect to other groups he is not an active member of.

Why does he has to be such a vile and obnoxious, in my opinion, character with the queen. It is childish beyond believe. To think people actually voted for that unicorn promising person is just beyond comprehension to me.

You mean the lack of bow? It's protocol that MPs don't bow.

Edit: Just checked and I'm right. May hasn't bowed previously, and Cameron as well. Farron didn't bow this time either.

Last edited:
You mean the lack of bow? It's protocol that MPs don't bow.
Protocol is a bit overstating it, there is prescedent for it yes I agree. He is not the first and not the only one. Ed Milliband managed to show such courtesy though together with David Cameron.

The queen isn't fussed about things like that anyway, the point is that Corbyn is ;) He has no issue showing courtesy to others including known terrorists, but he just can't help himself and not for the first time.

Protocol is a bit overstating it, there is prescedent for it yes I agree. He is not the first and not the only one. Ed Milliband managed to show such courtesy though together with David Cameron.

The queen isn't fussed about things like that anyway, the point is that Corbyn is ;) He has no issue showing courtesy to others including known terrorists, but he just can't help himself and not for the first time.

So you agree that Corbyn followed protocol and May didn't, but you are still upset about it? And he is ?petty?

Last edited:
Basically, I get the slight impression you dislike Corbyn - maybe even hate him.

So anything you say about Jeremy Corbyn will be heavily tainted, and words like 'vile' and 'obnoxious' and 'childish' all used in the same sentence gives the game away.

Nothing more to be said really.

I have to stick up for Corbyn here. In the same pic I've seen Damian Green is not bowing either. And it is protocol that only officials bow and not MPs.

I'd also stick up for him being a Republican. I'm a pragmatic republican myself. I think the idea of a monarchy is wrong, but I think it works well in practice and there is no need to change it.

I do disagree with him not singing the national anthem though.

dejongi got this one wrong it would seem, but in general, Corbyn is openly contemptuous of the monarchy in his official capacity. I couldn't care less if he's a Republican and campaigning to dismantle the monarchy in the background (possibly even as an MP), but as Leader of the Opposition he needs to show some respect, up until the point the Labour Manifesto becomes a Republican one at any rate :)

dejongi got this one wrong it would seem, but in general, Corbyn is openly contemptuous of the monarchy in his official capacity. I couldn't care less if he's a Republican and campaigning to dismantle the monarchy in the background (possibly even as an MP), but as Leader of the Opposition he needs to show some respect, up until the point the Labour Manifesto becomes a Republican one at any rate :)

Some may argue that you can show respect in many ways, and we don't all need to all start singing "God save the Queen" to show respect... remember some of us are both atheists as well as republicans.
Are we saying people should be hypocrites?

No :love:

Basically, I get the slight impression you dislike Corbyn - maybe even hate him.

So anything you say about Jeremy Corbyn will be heavily tainted, and words like 'vile' and 'obnoxious' and 'childish' all used in the same sentence gives the game away.

Nothing more to be said really.
You are absolutely correct. Really can't stand him.

So you agree that Corbyn followed protocol and May didn't, but you are still upset about it? And he is ?petty?
Is it protocol though? As I already acknowledged there is prescedent for this, and he wasn't the only one. However there is also prescedent for both leaders bowing like Cameron and Ed did. I happily stand corrected if this is protocol, is it? I can't find a conclusive answer to it.

Corbyn has form on this, and yes I definitely don't like him, nor what he does or stands for.

And the rant definitely made me feel better in this heat :)

Regarding people being hypocritical, aren't all politicians hypocritical when it suits them?

It has been said that politicians are hypocrites because it keeps them elected. In fact a good politician will change their viewpoint to match or stay in tune with the times.

The Corbyn effect is mystifying and seems improbable, but there is one thing about 'the man of peace' however - Jeremy is as hypocritical as any other good politician.

I couldn't care less if he's a Republican and campaigning to dismantle the monarchy in the background (possibly even as an MP), but as Leader of the Opposition he needs to show some respect, up until the point the Labour Manifesto becomes a Republican one at any rate :)
Why? He is an elected MP with his own mandate, not a civil servant.

Ultimately you are right, it is his choice. However some courtesy doesn't cost anything. In my opinion it would be the decent thing to do. And likely gets him a few more allies. Not that him, nor I, nor the queen would lay awake worrying about it :)

Ultimately you are right, it is his choice. However some courtesy doesn't cost anything. In my opinion it would be the decent thing to do. And likely gets him a few more allies. Not that him, nor I, nor the queen would lay awake worrying about it :)
He wasn't the only one, and it's just once again a small percentage of the right wing media again having a dug at Corbyn for no apparent reason.

In all honesty, no body cares because rightly so, the royal family don't represent the state anymore. It's just a load of BS

He wasn't the only one, and it's just once again a small percentage of the right wing media again having a dug at Corbyn for no apparent reason.

In all honesty, no body cares because rightly so, the royal family don't represent the state anymore. It's just a load of BS
Ahem she is head of state, yes it's a constitutional monarchy but still head of state. Republicans don't care, the queen doesn't dictate such protocol either or despite that it is advices that commonly for men a head bow is the right approach to greet a royal. But yes the days of "off with your head" are gone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty, the days of the current monarchy are over, we are in the last generation before I think we will see major changes.

None of the current younger generation want to become king or queen, and the new generation often break protocols.

I suspect what emerges from the royals will be more fitting for our and future generations, but we will see.

I thought the biggest royal news was the pro EU crown the Queen was wearing anyway?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. But it all depends on what you mean by current monarchy.

I did concede that he could follow his own mandate as an MP :). My only point was that as the Leader of the Opposition there are certain protocols that he is meant to follow. Personally it doesn't bother me that much, unless there was a chance of him becoming PM :devil:

But it all depends on what you mean by current monarchy.

The current monarch + her aging son? Both will soon be pushing up the daisies.

The next generation of Harry and Wills don't care for the pageantry and pomp, nor do the British of their generation onwards, so it might be a leaner retooled, rebooted, reimagined monarchy without all the bollocks of the Kents, the Yorks, the Wessexes and all the other useless sponging hangers on.

You are absolutely correct. Really can't stand him.
Maybe he dislikes the Monarch as much as you dislike him. Would YOU greet JC in a respectful and dignified manner if you were to meet ? Or is it because he is a public servant elected multiple times by his electorate and now twice by his party.......Does that make him a legitimate target for bile ?

I'm not a monarchist or a republican.

But like @krish, can envisage a severe cutback on the palaces, the entourage, the footmen and ladies-in-waiting, horse driven gold carriages, the old-fashioned medal-bedecked uniforms etc etc.

When the time comes...

Maybe he dislikes the Monarch as much as you dislike him. Would YOU greet JC in a respectful and dignified manner if you were to meet ? Or is it because he is a public servant elected multiple times by his electorate and now twice by his party.......Does that make him a legitimate target for bile ?
Yes I would. I would address him with the respect and appropriateness of his position. I would not be informal with him until invited to do so. I don't do that do anyone of any background, no excuses and no exceptions. Just not how I was brought up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom