Copyright Query

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FeiJi Fancier, Mar 15, 2006.

1. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having just registered, I have a query regarding copyright when posting on this forum.

If I attach or otherwise display a photograph taken by me on this forum, who then owns copyright?

Naturally, if I post a photograph here myself, I am giving the forum permission to display it - but your T's&C's would seem to imply that it gives M2N fully copyright ownership.

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Technically speaking, image copyright is retained by the image creator. If you sign up to a contract that relieves you of your copyright, then that's your look out.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Reading the T&Cs it is difficult to say for certain - it states that anything created on the forums is copyright free. Technically your photo wasnt created on the forum (even if it was posted on there) and so it would seem that you retain the copyright. If you want a definative answer then contact the administrators.

4. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hmmmm, that was my intention by posting here. I'll try again elsewhere.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Send a PM to mod Steve Green. He looks after all things photo, am I right? :confused:

6. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    why do u care for such a thing, are you a dumb rich business man or something? :p :laugh:

7. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    If you place the copyright symbol, a circle with a C inside and then sign your name next to it, place this on every original piece of your work and its now copyrighted to you.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not strictly true.

Copyright AUTOMATICALLY exists on anything ORIGINAL that you produce. So, if you write a book, it's automatically under your copyright from the moment the words hit the page (unless you're blatantly copying someone else's work, naturally!). It's the form in which the words are arranged, in this example, that constitutes the basis of copyright. There can be NO copyright on ideas or titles, however, unless the ideas are already patented and/or well-established as belonging to someone else, or the title/name you're trying to use is inextricably linked to another well-known/well-established business, person, object or activity, etc.

In the case of things like letters or photographs, people often mistakenly believe that the SUBJECT (if human) or RECIPIENT owns the copyright. Not so. This always remains with the original writer/photographer, regardless of the subject's or recipient's wishes.

The only way you can relinquish your copyright is by giving your written consent to this effect - say, if you sold a photograph and all associated usage rights to a photo library, business or private individual. However, it's also possible when submitting images to forums or other places that publish your image that you'll have to give consent to either unlimited usage of that image by the proprietors concerned, or complete ownership of it if you signed or otherwise legally agreed to forfeit your copyright.

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0