1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright Protection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by whatdoiknow, Jun 24, 2005.

1. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have several bought videos that I have copied for my own personal use so that I can play them on cheap VCR's in kids bedrooms in car VCR etc.

I know how to get round the macrovision problem as in my editing suite I have a couple of machines that can disable it. Now that I have in car DVD I was going to copy a couple of copied tapes just to keep the kids quite on long journeys but my question is why does my Toshiba RDXS34 stop the recording saying that it is protected when it's just a copy tape, is there some other protection added other than macrovision.

Thanks,

Martin

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As strange as it may seem,even if you are able to copy protected tapes,the Macrovision may still transfer over to the copy,as the device you are using to record may not detect it but records it anyway.So you have copy protected copies

3. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your possibly right, I did try putting it through one of my AV processors to DVD and that didn't work, so I got the other one out and tried that and hey presto it did work.

I think my original copy from original VHS to copy VHS was done via a cheapy processor and as you say didn't quite take out the macrovision fully although the copied VHS played back OK in a VCR.

Will use my ACE processor in future.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There are two levels of Macrovision. The first one is where the level of the sync pulse is "fiddled with", which defeats most VCR's. The second level is extra pulses inside the sync pulse which identify the source as protected. Many DVD players sold with "macrovision removal" remove the first Macrovision effect, but not the second, and it's the second one that modern DVD recorders look for.