1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copyright protection on Hi Def?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by jon stallard, May 30, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought myself an LCD TV for my bedroom which is Hi Def capable apparently. Fair enough, set it up via the component connections to my HTPC and sure enough, I got nvidia pop up menu's asking all the right questions about setting up my display for Hi Def. So far, so good.

I don't have any Hi Def material but thought I'd try a DVD to see what, if any, difference there was. What I got was a message saying that either my DVD was being used by another application (I hadn't opened it up in any other application before I opened MCE) or that it was copyright protected and thus, up yours matey, you're not watching this DVD via the component connections (or you're not watching the DVD you bought legally, on the equipment you built legitamately and that works in all other respects).

Has anyone any ideas? If this is the way forward then you can poke MCE quite frankly. Hopefully, I'm doing something wrong but if you can't watch a SD DVD in hi def then it should say so. If it's to do with this HDMI handshake malarkey then clearly until video cards come so equipped, are we wasting our money on hi end graphics cards?

Miffed of Southampton, or just misguided?

Jon.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Could just be an issue with using the component connection. Have you tried connecting up using a VGA cable (assuming the LCD supports it)?

In general, hi-def material through analogue component is a no-go if the material is subject to HDCP, since HDCP is digital-only. Hence all the mainstream manufacturers of upscaling DVD players only allow the pseudo-HD output to be viewed through either HDMI or DVI-HDCP.

Am no expert on graphics cards, but most of the current generation models I've looked at support HDCP over DVI, specifically to allow connection to HD screens.

Summary is that it may not be possible to watch upscaled copy-protected content using your PCs component output, which of course includes DVDs. If possible use VGA or DVI.

3. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still the same using VGA although that is also analogue. This has become a major problem for me, if I can't play DVD's in MCE2005 then what is the point of the software? How unhelpful is a message saying my DVD is copy protected? From what? Me the purchaser merely trying to watch the bloody thing?

Contrast that to a Philips Streamium I bought yesterday which simply worked. Detected my wireless network straight off, came with ye olde scart which when plugged into my CRT TV, gave me two options. 4:3 or 6:9. Do you know, the 16:9 option gave me exactly that. It filled up my widescreen with no over or under scan, no messing about with some dubious third party software.... Although it "only" has a pair of phono audio out sockets, no SPDIF. Oh how am I going to survive :rolleyes:

To be honest, Im just a step or two away from abandoning MCE2005 altogether. What ever it does, it does it not very well compared to a proprietry bit of kit that does it spot on. For example, comparing my Sony freeview box to the built in sh1te that's 'live TV' on MCE is like having a football team with a reliable centre half (Sony) or a twitchy prima donna centre half who falls over at the slightest provocation, looks good but blames everyone else before going off in a huff (MCE).

I've spent over a thousand on this thing and all I have to show for it is a slightly humming but huge box that won't play my DVD's (wont play them under MCE, winDVD will however) can't get the EPG to work properly STILL and despite there being a plethora of digital radio channels, my HTPC wont even recognise them, let alone play them.

Other than that, it's great fun trying to read the latest pop up on my desktop from 15 bloody feet away and correct it using a tempermental wireless keyboard and mouse.

Stallard