Copyright infringement (Music)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by gritstone, Sep 18, 2007.

1. gritstone

gritstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We should all know that using pop music etc in our productions, without permission from the owners is infringement of copyright.

However, is it still infringement if pop music happens to be playing in the background while capturing video?

Also, how about having low level copyrighted music in the background which is overdubbed by a non-copyright soundtrack (e.g. narrative)?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    However, is it still infringement if pop music happens to be playing in the background while capturing video?

I’m not a copyright lawyer, but I believe this is a “grey area”. Clearly if you were shooting where the music was a key feature (e.g. at a night club) you could have copyright issues. If you are shooting in a park and someone walks by carrying a radio and you hear a few seconds of it, that would not be an issue.

Also, how about having low level copyrighted music in the background which is overdubbed by a non-copyright soundtrack (e.g. narrative)?

That is clearly a copyright violation. You are adding the music to your production to create a new production; the fact that it is low level doesn't make a difference.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    This is more of an issue if your production is of a commercial bent or for public viewing.
    For your personal ones ,, I don't see a problem. There are however a lot of very affordable royalty free music which don't have any copyright issues.
    and there are some which do only insofar as you need to acknowledge the source in your credits or credit them on the packaging