Quantcast

Copyright Advice

Peakoverload

Who owns the copyright if photos were taken by person A for use on a clubs website and that person A was the one that built the website for the club?

I know that if you take a photo as an employee than copyright vests with the employer but when the employer is a club run by volunteers and person A isn't paid but just another volunteer what happens then?

If copyright still vests with person A, can person A withdraw use of the photos when person B then builds a new website for the club?

My answer would be Person A....Do you have a 'Trophy Pose' issue ?????

Does the club have any paper work from person A or does the club have any paper work that staff sign ????

Peakoverload

Cheers all. You've basically said what I thought but wanted to double check. Unfortunately the club has no paperwork at all and everything was done on good will. That's fine whilst the good will is there but not so good when it's not.

Faldrax

If copyright still vests with person A, can person A withdraw use of the photos when person B then builds a new website for the club?
Now that is a different question to that of copyright.

As already stated, unless explicitly transferred (which can occur under conditions of employment, for example), copyright remains with the photographer.

However, providing the images to the club for their website can been seen as granting them a licence to use the images for the website - at which point you get into legal wrangling over the terms of this unwritten licence when the club and photographer fall out.

And at that point, the only real winners get to be the lawyers...