Question Copying vinyl to laptop via USB

Pie1862

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sorry if this isn't in quite the correct thread but I was unsure as to where it best belonged.
A few years ago I got back into the vinyl world and currently have a Rega RP1 connected to a Pioneer AVR via a Project Phono Phono Box Mk2. My laptop only has a USB input and I've been looking at methods to copy vinyl as surprisingly even some new releases still don't come with download codes.
Anyway, the quality doesn't have to be spectacular as it's only so I can stick the files on my iPod and listen in the car. I know there are Phono stages with USB built in but that's essentially forking out for a new Phono stage when the one I have is fine.

I've seen two cheaper options but have no idea if they are a false economy:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-...D=41MOgnznR%2BL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-UPA-1000-Phono-Stage-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00NMGJJA6

Any views on these products would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Behringer works and is surprisingly good for the price, no idea about the other.

Behringer works and is surprisingly good for the price, no idea about the other.

Thanks, I was hoping one of these would be OK.

I don't have experience with either, but there is a non-PHONO Behringer DAC that is virtually identical that get pretty glowing reviews for the money. Your suggested Behringer devices is simply the same device with Phono Equalization added. Though the Phono Equalization can be switched off to accommodate standard Line Level input as well.

YouTube - Tharbamar - Behringer UCA-202 DAC/ADC

Here is the actual review -

This also has the advantage or both IN and OUT. You can use it to Record and you can use it to Play music.

Steve/bluewizard

More Info -

These are not the specific product you are looking for, but the UFO-O202 is from the same Series.

You can download Audacity for Behringer, or you can download it directly from this Link -

Audacity® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

Base on what the Behringer/Audacity Video said, Audacity won't save in FLAC, so save the audio in WAV, then convert the WAV to FLAC. There are several free programs that will allow you to do this. WAV is 100% identical to the source. FLAC is 100% identical but it uses compression to reduce the file size. If you have plenty of disc space, just keep the files in WAV.

There are several other videos on this Series of USB DAC and specifically on the UFO202 Phono DAC. I think you will find them all generally positiive.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Here is another Video from Behringer, though perhaps not specifically relating to your case. but recording on an IPad -

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom