Copying videos to DVD

manrow

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic recorder DMR EX98V, which has a video player and dvd player/recorder. I have many old videos which I would like to copy to dvd.

Many of the videos are over 3 hours, and if I copy them at recorded definition then only 60 minutes can be accommodated on each disc. I would like to record them in 60 minute blocks. The local Panansonic shop says I will have to record all video data in one go on to one disc, by selecting variable definition on record. This means they will only be able to be replayed on Panasonic players.

Since this recorder also has a hard disc, would it make any difference to subsequent recording to dvd; just a shot in the dark you understand?! Could I then record in 60 minute blocks as I wish at normal definition?

Also are there any differences between recording to +R or -R discs?

Help please.

Thanks very much Stuart for explaining more in a few words than I gleaned from the provided manual! Although that is relevant to my being well into retirement age! I should have thought of seeking a review as you did for me.

If you were to get a Blu-Ray recorder you'd be able to put well over 3 hours of old VHS/Beta recordings on to a single dosc.

Bri

If you were to get a Blu-Ray recorder you'd be able to put well over 3 hours of old VHS/Beta recordings on to a single dosc.

Bri

I think your about 20 hours on that Bri

quote from

About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc.

I used to use a Panny recorder (first one they did) and it was possible to set the desired recording time so it used a custom bitrate.

It only used -R media so that is still my preference. I think I did read somewhere that +R recorders still preferred -R.

It is also possible to record in the high bitrate you want straight to the HDD then experiment later.

You will not see any difference between 60min and 120min recording. If you insist recording in segments, I would set it to 90 minute.

Even 3 hours recording looked good on a pretty big TV.

Hi,

FWIW, You can safely record 2.5 hours of stuff onto a single-sided, single-layered 4.7gb DVD-R disc, without any significant picture loss - depending on the quality of the original source material, AND what it is you are transferring (e.g. films, sports material, family home videos, etc, etc).

Between 2.5 and 3 hours, and you'll notice a bit of a drop in picture quality. Over 3 hours, and the drop becomes much more noticeable. Try and stick to between 2-3 hours of material per disc, as I've found that's the best balance.

I would recommend you get a decent quality DVD Recorder with an internal HDD drive, transfer the VHS recordings to the internal HDD drive, and then edit out ad breaks and other assorted guff, before transferring the newly-edited material onto a blank DVD-R disc.

The main problem you will encounter, is the amount of time it takes you to physically transfer VHS tapes onto the HDD drive, and during the VHS to HDD transfer, you'll need to keep an eye on the VHS picture. Avoiding sound and/or picture drop-outs, picture-roll, and distorted sound/image can be a nightmare, especially if you are wanting a recording that's worth keeping/archiving.

Lastly, double-check that whatever you are wanting to keep, can't be legally bought. If you can buy it, chances are it'll better (and easier on your sanity) to do that, than to bother transferring the same material from VHS onto a DVD, via an HDD drive.

Hope that info helps you out a bit. :)

Pooch

Indeed if you've got old tapes of stuff you can't get elsewhere Blu-Ray's a great way to perserve it.

Bri

Cheap blu rays don't last. I had over 10 BD-R's stop working in less than 6 months. TDK or Verbatim are pricey but they work or use BD-RW's.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom