1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying VCD to VHS

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by electrolyte, Mar 21, 2003.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I am planning to buy a digital camcorder to take footage of my son growing up. I want to burn this footage onto VCD and play it on my DVD player (Toshiba SD220E). I want to then make VHS copies of this VCD to give to grandparents etc (as they don't have DVD players). Will the DVD player allow me to make copies of the VCD this way?

2. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you play back the VCD through a stand alone DVD player and have a VCR that takes audio and composite video signals as input (either vis phono plugs or a scart) then this should be no problem.
    It should be as simple as:

Just play the VCD in the DVD player, connect the scart from the dvd player to the video, set the video record 'channel' to the scart input (prob called av, a1, ext or some such thing) and record.

You will lose some quality but granny willbe thrilled!

Tim

3. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Thanks Tim.:smashin:

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    if your dvd player supports it (check DVDRHELP.com) learn to encode to a SVCD with a highbitrate, and your footage will be a lot lot closer to the original DV source. SVCDs are standard CDRs, they just use up more room. at good quality (say 2250kbit 2pass) you'll easily get 40mins per CDR, which after editing from a 60min tape is probably the amount you'll have anyway.

goodluck :)

5. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Thanks for your reply JayX. I have checked on DVDRhelp and my DVD player will play SVCDs so I'm sorted.

I bought a Sony TRV245 Digital8 at the weekend so Granny will soon be getting her first tape!