1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COPYING TV PROGS - PROTECTED?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gbmitie, Jul 26, 2001.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Does anyone know when you cannot tape a programme becuase it is using macrovision protection? I recently tried to record 2 x progs on BBC sat digital via the scart and both failed. Does it say anywhere that progs are protected?

sanap

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    AFAIK, the only place macrovision is used on broadcasts is on Pay Per View channels.

You don't say exactly HOW it "failed". What were the symptoms?

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm interested in that one too.
    What vcr do you have? Are you talking about scart control (21 pin lead) that auto records sky progs as like Panasonic/JVC vcrs of late?
    Not using videoplus either?

4. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for reply. I think BBC use copy protection as well but I will pursue with them. I use pana video using the menu facility for timer recording on the video and with the scart channel set to AV2. This way I get widescreen and stereo sound, when it works. I tried the prog with Quentin Wilson about cars stolen from japan, got 5 mins and then a screen with notyhing but static, ie like a blank tape playing.

I will try again and see what happens.

SANAP

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    That doesn't sound like macrovision. I'd suspect your digibox reset itself or lost signal or locked up. Or the old favourite you didn't set the recorder correctly.

Try watching something and recording it at teh same time just to check. The beeb as far as I know do not use macrovision.( I find the idea strangely worrying a bit like tranquilisers in the water supply!)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting... I own a new tosh tv which can get a fluctuation effect similar to what macrovision can cause when you run leads thru video watching dvd, i only seem to get this while watching sky movies other channels such as all the music, news and documentarys dont have this problem its driving me nuts trying to find the cause.. could macrovision encoded broadcasts have this effect?....Help...
    :eek: :eek: