Copying to Philips DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by casals, Feb 9, 2009.

1. casals

casals
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have a Panasonic DMR-EX75EB. Works fine when copying to any DVD + or - R. However, when copying to a Philips DVD+RW the recording comes out as one complete chapter with the menu page missing. This is the case whether I play the recording back on the Panasonic itself, PC or any other DVD player. I'm assuming the recording was automatically finalised as there isn't an option displayed before recording as there is when recording to DVD Rs. Also there isn't an option available after recording. Does anyone know what the problem could be please?

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum.

With +RW discs you have the option to create a 'Top menu' which you will find in DVD management.

See page 55 of the manual for guidance.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Additional.... You tend to have more options if you use advanced copy.

Accessible via Functions / To Others / Advanced Copy.

4. casals

casals
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice. I'll give that a go. Why does the procedure for +RW differ from +R?

5. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Because the data on a +RW can be changed, meaning the disc can be automatically "finalised", and if changes are required the finalisation can be undone and more video, or menus, added then finalised again.
    Once a DVDR is finalised, any data added could never be seen by players compliant with only standard DVD, so there is no capability to write to DVDR after finalisation.

6. casals

casals
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see. I just assumed that if I was dubbing in FR mode then the system would know I wasn't able to add to the disc and therefore include the menu on the DVD. Anyway I've used the advice given earlier & everything is fine now thanks. It sort of surprised me to find that the .IMG file I'd saved of this DVD on my PC actually burnt back onto a DVD+RW and the Panasonic was still able to create a Top Title for it. I could then back up the DVD on my PC in the way I'd wanted to in the first place.