Copying Sony HX7 videos to PS3

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by robbenton, Dec 30, 2011.

1. robbenton

robbenton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just brought a Sony HX7 camera. I want to store the videos on my PS3 as I have done with previous camcorders.

I can view the HD videos via the Filmy programme on the PS3 BUT this will only show what is on the camera Sd card. Other words cannot show what is stored on the PS3 hard drive.

When I watch the camera video through the video option from the main menu on the PS3 it will play all the videos on the camera in one go ( none stop). My prevoius camcorder was shown as individual videos and dated.

It also used to let me copy the videos onto the PS3 hard drive.

With the Sony HX7 camera the PS3 doesnt even given me the option to copy the videos from the camera on to the PS3 hard drive.

Is it anything to do with the videos being in AVCHD ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    MM i have two PS3s and can watch what i have filmed from my cameras using a card reader plugged into one of the PS3s usb slots,all the files on each card
    play right through ie if there is 45minutes on a card no matter how many clips it plays to the end of course pausing and stopping when wanted,i am not sure i can record onto the the PS3s drive and have not tried,what was your previous cam and what format ,i think you are saying you can play your video the same as i do and it is to do with the files being AVCHD but i am not sure what you did before without more info.

3. robbenton

robbenton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I can view the AVCHD video on the ps3. It does not give me the option to save the video when I press the options (green triangle button) as it would with a normal video.

I did download the video from the camera to my pc, and then burnt a dvd. I then viewed the dvd on the ps3 and it did allow me to store the video on the ps3 hard drive. It also says the quality was 1920 x 1080 so I preseume that is HD quailty ?

The ps3 will allow me to down load a mp4 video directly from the camera.

It seems the ps3 doesnt like copying AVCHD videos directly from the camera. Ive ordered a SD card USB reader to see if it will accept a reader directly in to the usb port.

The previous camcorder was a sony sr35 with standard sd.

Thanks

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276

5. winch

winch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think that the PS3 plays all the AVCHD files from the connected camcorder by default.

Try pressing triangle on the connected camcorder icon and select 'display all'. You should be able to browse the folders down to the 'stream' folder where the separate video files are and then copy them from there.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    If your PS3 is connected to a home network you can stream avchd directly from your PC.

PS3 Media Server

Other than that you can burn up to 30 mins in Full-HD on a DVD blank in AVCHD format. The PS3 will play these back.

7. robbenton

robbenton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I press the green triangle on the avchd file it only gives me the option the play or okay from beginning. On other files it keys you copy.

8. winch

winch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You might be one level too far down the folder structure: you only get the 'display all' option at the top level.

Try pressing triangle on the 'usb device (camcorder)' icon. You should get 'display all' and 'information' options.

9. robbenton

robbenton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Winch your a star ! You are right. You need to press the triangle button on the main camera folder and get to the video from there. Then it will let you copy. The avchd files are in a file called private. Thanks everyone. Sony could have made it a bit simpler !

10. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    had this exact same problem yesterday with a new DSC HX9V. I was definatley delving too deep in the folders as well :facepalm:. sony want to make this easier!!

Also when playing straight from the camera, the PS3 would lock up at the end with a blck screen, and have to be killed & restarted. Using "Filmy" played them ok.