copying sky to dvd

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by shaunthedude, Mar 11, 2006.

1. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if its possible to connect your sky box to a dvd recorder and then copy whatever you have recorded on sky onto a dvd????

cheers

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    depends on the level of copy protection,

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmmm ok. Its only the TCM channel I would be wanting.

4. CYMRAES

CYMRAES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have my sky box connected to Toshiba RDXS34 dvd recorder to record from sky. If there is anything I want to keep and record to dvd, I edit any adverts etc and then transfer to dvd - I've had no problem with any film so far!

Perhaps you are talking sky plus??

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah sorry we have sky plus. i aint tried to copy yet just wondered if it was possible thats all. Before i start re wiring etc:D

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Simple Answer: Yes you can: Even if Sky Plus is a headache you should be able to feed a DVD recorder directly ( with HDD is better)

Longer :)boring: ) answer:
    Like "CYMRAES" I have copied sky to DVD via a DVD recorder with HDD.

I used RBG scart : Very good quality. Unlike DVD Players and Commercial VHS tapes I dont think you can apply macrovision to a settop digi box.
    I am unaware of whether the MTV and Football I recorded just happened to be "unencrypted".

In the past I have also captured Sky to a Video editing analogue capture without problems. I suspect they may be less bothered as the Sky HD boxes will implement HDCP and similar ( yet undeclared) content protection software
    How this applies to content on your SkyPlus HD is unclear but certainly worth experimenting to find out
    HTH

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    I regularly copy stuff from my Sky+ box to my DVD/HDD recorder. I usually unplug the scart that goes from AV1 to the television and plug that into my DVD recorder as this TV Out scart on Sky+ is RGB and the video one isn't.
    You can either copy a bunch of programs using the copy facility and then edit them on the DVD recorder or you can just press Play on the Sky+ box and record manually. Doing it manually you can copy small segments of programs much easier rather than having to copy the whole program and then delete the bits you don't want.
    I think the only programs that may be copy protected is the Box Office stuff.

9. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sounds good to me as Im in the market to buy a DVD recorder to do just this. I guess that as I dont care about how well the machine copes with regarding progrmas direct from Tv I could probably get away with quite a cheap model ( or am I folling myself??)

good signature by the way :)

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    It's worth trying to afford one with a hard drive if you are going to be copying lots of programs. If I copy a large batch of programs using the Copy facility from Sky+ I wait until I have a few hours worth as the copying is done at single speed in real time, so if there's 8 hours of programs to record you can't fit all this onto a DVD. I usually record using SP mode on my Panasonic DVD recorder, which only allows 2 hours per DVD, so if you use that mode you can't copy much in one session.

11. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Cheap , Fast, Durable (reliable) and good quality dont live in the same house!!:rotfl:
    Apart from buying one with a built in HDD, avoid supermarket "no name" brands.
    Apart from suspect PQ , and possible poor durability, you may encounter fussiness with blank media and refusal of the ( recorded) discs to play well or at all elswhere.
    Too much hassle: You then end up buying another one.:suicide:
    If you must buy cheap and cheerful do so on personal recommendation